Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Access Course UCAS process watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My UCAS application has more or less been ready to send off for the past 3 weeks but I'm struggling to finish the final section which involves entering all of the modules for my access course. For the qualification date do I enter June 2016 for every module or do I need to get a full module timetable? And where it asks for achieved result do I enter it as pending or No grade (as I haven't even started them yet)? Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    You're way more efficient than I was when I did mine this time last year - didn't finish mine until just before Christmas!

IIRC, I put in the June date for all my modules (you do need to list all the individual modules you're doing) and put Pending for all my module results. I forget if that's what the recommended approach is, but the way I saw it (a) you don't have the grades for certain until external moderation is done in the summer and (b) I was no worse off than the A-Level students in that respect since they don't get their results until August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    You're way more efficient than I was when I did mine this time last year - didn't finish mine until just before Christmas!

IIRC, I put in the June date for all my modules (you do need to list all the individual modules you're doing) and put Pending for all my module results. I forget if that's what the recommended approach is, but the way I saw it (a) you don't have the grades for certain until external moderation is done in the summer and (b) I was no worse off than the A-Level students in that respect since they don't get their results until August.
    Many thanks for your prompt reply, as you got the results were you able to put them up on UCAS for the university to see? By Christmas I'm guessing that you had already completed a few assignments, did you feel that it helped with getting offers and do you think I should delay sending it off for another couple of weeks?

ReputationRep:
    None of your results are official until they've been externally moderated in the summer, so you shouldn't update them as you go. As Jimmy says, you should put the June date for all modules, with 'pending' next to them.

It doesn't really make any difference if you send your application off now, or wait until nearer the January deadline. If you are happy with your personal statement, you may as well get it done now, but if you feel it may still need work, then there's no harm in delaying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barrett Wallace)
    Many thanks for your prompt reply, as you got the results were you able to put them up on UCAS for the university to see? By Christmas I'm guessing that you had already completed a few assignments, did you feel that it helped with getting offers and do you think I should delay sending it off for another couple of weeks?
    One part of the UCAS application I don't understand is how unis you apply to know how likely you are to meet/exceed the necessary grades from your Access course. Presumably you wouldn't apply to somewhere you don't feel you have a fighting chance of getting into, but in the absence of predicted grades (as per A-Level applicants), I don't know how they assess that side of it. Obviously PS and tutor references are key to an application, but perhaps for students applying through a college, the college can add in something to the effect of predicted grades. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this aspect. (I didn't bother finding out about that part of it since it wasn't an issue for me.)

I'd also echo what Schadenfreude65 said about when to submit your application. If it's ready to go, fine, but don't rush your PS or your application as a whole to meet an arbitrary deadline. I know colleges tend to set an internal deadline earlier than the UCAS January deadline so that they can process their students' applications in time for the absolute UCAS deadline, but I would've thought even the earlier internal one still wouldn't be for a while yet.

ReputationRep:
    One part of the UCAS application I don't understand is how unis you apply to know how likely you are to meet/exceed the necessary grades from your Access course. Presumably you wouldn't apply to somewhere you don't feel you have a fighting chance of getting into, but in the absence of predicted grades (as per A-Level applicants), I don't know how they assess that side of it. Obviously PS and tutor references are key to an application, but perhaps for students applying through a college, the college can add in something to the effect of predicted grades. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this aspect. (I didn't bother finding out about that part of it since it wasn't an issue for me.)

I'd also echo what Schadenfreude65 said about when to submit your application. If it's ready to go, fine, but don't rush your PS or your application as a whole to meet an arbitrary deadline. I know colleges tend to set an internal deadline earlier than the UCAS January deadline so that they can process their students' applications in time for the absolute UCAS deadline, but I would've thought even the earlier internal one still wouldn't be for a while yet.
    Our tutors have added predicted grades in our references for both the February and September Access starters this year!

I can't speak for other colleges though.

ReputationRep:
    One part of the UCAS application I don't understand is how unis you apply to know how likely you are to meet/exceed the necessary grades from your Access course.
    Your referee enters your predicted grades onto the UCAS system. They are trusted to be realistic. Predictions are really just an educated guess, so they aren't expected to be 100% accurate. Generally, predicted grades are the result of discussions between the various teachers who take you for each subject.

ReputationRep:
    Glad I found this post, just posted a topic asking the same question.

Would we put Maths and English down as modules also or is it just the five we get our graded assignments in?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lc89ne)
    Would we put Maths and English down as modules also or is it just the five we get our graded assignments in?
    Put down all modules that relate to assignments that will constitute your eventual 60 credits. For me that was 20 modules - 15 for the academic, graded assignments (3 x 5) and 5 ungraded study skills modules.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.