Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am applying now for next year either to do natural sciences or just biology. I already have my grades (3A*s) so not having to worry about entry requirements.

Trying to choose unis is driving me insane

For natural sciences my favourite course structure is at Bath...the biology with pharmacology path looks really interesting and I like the flexibility of the additional modules.
    I definitely prefer the biology side as I hate physics...I do like maths and chemistry though just not as much,

However the ranking/status of the university is putting me off...its not a Russell group uni and to me it doesn't seem to be one that screams 'im amazing!!!!' How important is this in terms of how well respected my degree will be, job prospects etc? Am I just being a snob?!

Need some advice as to where to be looking to apply. I didn't bother with Oxbridge as It just didn't appeal to me. I've looked at Imperial but prefer campus unis...plus London...ew
    Also looked at Durham but didn't like there natural sciences course as much so will probably apply for biological sciences...however the distance puts me off. (im near London)
    I don't want to be wasting my grades and want to be at a 'good' university...someone please tell me what to do with my life

ugh im spiralling send help...
    Ta :*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatarethis)
    Hello, I am applying now for next year either to do natural sciences or just biology. I already have my grades (3A*s) so not having to worry about entry requirements.

Trying to choose unis is driving me insane

For natural sciences my favourite course structure is at Bath...the biology with pharmacology path looks really interesting and I like the flexibility of the additional modules.
    I definitely prefer the biology side as I hate physics...I do like maths and chemistry though just not as much,

However the ranking/status of the university is putting me off...its not a Russell group uni and to me it doesn't seem to be one that screams 'im amazing!!!!' How important is this in terms of how well respected my degree will be, job prospects etc? Am I just being a snob?!

Need some advice as to where to be looking to apply. I didn't bother with Oxbridge as It just didn't appeal to me. I've looked at Imperial but prefer campus unis...plus London...ew
    Also looked at Durham but didn't like there natural sciences course as much so will probably apply for biological sciences...however the distance puts me off. (im near London)
    I don't want to be wasting my grades and want to be at a 'good' university...someone please tell me what to do with my life

ugh im spiralling send help...
    Ta :*
    If you like bath, apply to bath... It's a very good university, even better than some of the russell groups imo

ReputationRep:
    I swear Bath is a Russell group? Do you mean Bath Spa?

Edit: Woops, my mistake sorry

ReputationRep:
    Either way it's a very good uni.

ReputationRep:
    Easy one this - go for Bath. You like the course and the content and that's important. Russell Group (and rankings in general), to the vast majority of people in the real world, makes absolutely no difference. Have a look at Bath's employability record and other surveys (HEFCE-NSS etc) to see what other students thought of their time there. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Bath is certainly as good as many Russell Group universities. It isn't any less prestigious than e.g. Birmingham or Bristol. On the other hand, it is much less prestigious than Oxbridge or Imperial. I'd definitely reconsider Imperial (since you're too late for Oxbridge) - it has a £10,000 higher average starting salary than Bath.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe Bath isn't Russell Group! Definitely has a good reputation though, similar to RG ones in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

(Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Bath is certainly as good as many Russell Group universities. It isn't any less prestigious than e.g. Birmingham or Bristol. On the other hand, it is much less prestigious than Oxbridge or Imperial. I'd definitely reconsider Imperial (since you're too late for Oxbridge) - it has a £10,000 higher average starting salary than Bath.
    Ye..i just didnt get a feel for it when i looked around. It didn't help that my tour guide was a grumpy sod and said everything was pretty **** besides the teaching! (as in accommodation, social life etc). Plus the cost of living in London and having to commute after the first year.

Is anyone studying at Imperial who could give me a slightly less negative description of the place...is it a 'normal' uni experience if that makes sense? Thats important to me.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Bath is one of the few unis that are up there with the russell groups

ReputationRep:
    No it's not important. No-one cares other than the teachers and politicians who want to make up wonderful statistics by sending people to Queen Mary instead of St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Choose the course not the uni, each natural science course is different and some are definitely more restrictive than others. Find ones you like and allow you to study the subjects you want, it's more important than prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strangesquark)
    I can't believe Bath isn't Russell Group! Definitely has a good reputation though, similar to RG ones in my opinion.
    It's just because of the size. The Russell Group wasn't meant to be a group of all the elite unis, just the largest research intensive ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It's just because of the size. The Russell Group wasn't meant to be a group of all the elite unis, just the largest research intensive ones.
    The Russell Group was set up in 1992 by a group of unis who feared they would lose their research funding. Shortly after other universities set up another group known as the 1994 group. Up to 2012 the top 15 unis in the Complete University Guide consisted of 9 1994 group members and 6 Russell Group. The 1994 members included Durham St Andrews, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster and York. As you can 3 of those joined RG the other 3 did not bother. It doesn't mean Durham or Exeter have improved and St Andrews and Bath haven't suddenly got worse. Ignore the RG thing. It is purely a marketing ploy. There are many unis outside the RG group equal to many inside it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    The Russell Group was set up in 1992 by a group of unis who feared they would lose their research funding. Shortly after other universities set up another group known as the 1994 group. Up to 2012 the top 15 unis in the Complete University Guide consisted of 9 1994 group members and 6 Russell Group. The 1994 members included Durham St Andrews, Exeter, Bath, Lancaster and York. As you can 3 of those joined RG the other 3 did not bother. It doesn't mean Durham or Exeter have improved and St Andrews and Bath haven't suddenly got worse. Ignore the RG thing. It is purely a marketing ploy. There are many unis outside the RG group equal to many inside it.
    Oh I'm well aware of that myself.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If you like the course structure then apply to Bath I study there and I can see how important module choices are.

ReputationRep:
    I live not far from Bath and it was on the local news a couple of days ago because they are really short of student accommodation - loads of students having to share a single room - (the one who got the fold up bed got to use the desk in the room )- people sleeping on their friends floors - it was a big thing on the news - the cost of private renting is high - so if you apply make sure you apply for your accommodation as soon as you can to give yourself the best possible chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    No it's not important. No-one cares other than the teachers and politicians who want to make up wonderful statistics by sending people to Queen Mary instead of St Andrews.
    Could you explain this interesting comment a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamRodney)
    Could you explain this interesting comment a bit?
    Some schools publish information on how many students get an offer from an RG university. This means to them it'd be better to send someone to Queen Mary (which is a part of RG) instead of St Andrews (which isn't).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Some schools publish information on how many students get an offer from an RG university. This means to them it'd be better to send someone to Queen Mary (which is a part of RG) instead of St Andrews (which isn't).
    Right. I thought you might be referring to the arrangement where pre-clinical students at St Andrews can do their clinical years at Barts (Queen Mary).

But I agree, its really meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamRodney)
    Right. I thought you might be referring to the arrangement where pre-clinical students at St Andrews can do their clinical years at Barts (Queen Mary).

But I agree, its really meaningless.
    Nah. I don't even know if it's common across all schools to focus on RG or if the parents care. I didn't even know RG existed before researching into UK universities.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.