The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lora9704
Thanks for replying! I'm glad that i found someone like you here doing foundation. I have a friend who graduated from Bartlett last year and all she said was the school was simply amazing, but the uni life was tough. She also mentioned that age is not a problem, she was 19 when she attended and she was the youngest among the course.
I also believe that foundation could be beneficial since it opens you up to other creative options... Architecture being very competitive is common knowledge, only a few percent actually goes on to pursue architectural careers.
And yes! London is simply amazing and full of events. Have you tried applying to AA?

No worries! We're all in this together :smile: I saw your task and although the technical drawing is good, I feel like it lacks a bit of that fine arty conceptual flair that the Bartlett are looking for..! Also, maybe the use of watercolours also brought it down? This is because they only specified pen/pencil/ink usage and they are really selective so I feel like they would use anything to reject someone..! Definitely feel like you should reapply and take ahead out because you have potential! You just need to broaden the way you work and look at space and a foundation would help that!

I also got rejected :frown: I didn't draw in a very technical manner within my task at all which I should have done..! I feel like I was way too conceptual with my drawings also. I want to reapply but everyone is telling me it'd be a stupid thing to do! I'll be 20 when I start which I don't really mind if I'm going to be honest but..!

I did not apply to the AAbecause my portfolio was not ready in time for the November applicant deadline. This deadline in November was essential for me because only through this deadline would one be able to apply for scholarships which would be integral to my study at the AA! If I take a year out, I will definitely apply to the AA! Have you (or has anyone) visited westminister?
Original post by nairline
No worries! We're all in this together :smile: I saw your task and although the technical drawing is good, I feel like it lacks a bit of that fine arty conceptual flair that the Bartlett are looking for..! Also, maybe the use of watercolours also brought it down? This is because they only specified pen/pencil/ink usage and they are really selective so I feel like they would use anything to reject someone..! Definitely feel like you should reapply and take ahead out because you have potential! You just need to broaden the way you work and look at space and a foundation would help that!

I also got rejected :frown: I didn't draw in a very technical manner within my task at all which I should have done..! I feel like I was way too conceptual with my drawings also. I want to reapply but everyone is telling me it'd be a stupid thing to do! I'll be 20 when I start which I don't really mind if I'm going to be honest but..!

I did not apply to the AAbecause my portfolio was not ready in time for the November applicant deadline. This deadline in November was essential for me because only through this deadline would one be able to apply for scholarships which would be integral to my study at the AA! If I take a year out, I will definitely apply to the AA! Have you (or has anyone) visited westminister?

I emailed them asking if i could use paint they said yes. However, i think i really should have used more pencil, sketching and showing tone and value. And same here, if id take the foundation course now, i would be 20 too when i start :smile: but i really dont mind. This architect i know who now runs his own company told me the best part about architecture is the learning part! He said he would teach architecture if he could! So i wouldnt worry about it too much. I applied to AA for the janurary deadline and im waiting for a decision. Im pretty happy with my portfolio, since i displayed more of my work (paintings, interior design, product design, sculpture that later inspired me to make it a building). With that said, i really wish Bartlett saw and judged my abilities on my portoflio, not just on 6 drawings.
Do you mind showing me some of the drawings for Bartlett? and no, i didnt apply to westminister :frown:
http://54545nairline3336665.tumblr.com/post/140026974632/bartlett-task

My Bartlett task (rejected). I sort of understand where I went wrong. I should have included at least some technical drawing and be more inclusive of space. But what can one do.. no going back :frown: it just sucks because I feel like my portfolio is very strong and I would have done well in the interview! Oh well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Grewsters
Well done on your offers!! Baths my top choice but no offer yet:/ Can I ask if you're an international student?

I've lived in England my entire life so no.

Original post by lora9704
Thanks for replying and Congrats! :smile: What is your first choice? Yeah ive read from other threads about how firms hate it when fresh graduates are unrealistic and do not think about how the building will actually work, and thats not one of Bath's qualities.

Thank you. Bath is my first choice, I just need to get that A*AA to get in now. Bath also has the built in placement year which makes you more attractive to employers as you will have already had work experience.

Original post by gemyerst
how long did Bath take to respond?

A month and a bit. I applied in mid October and got an offer beginning of December.
Is there anyone still waiting on Nottingham / had to hand in their portfolios through email as there's a technical problem with their MyNottingham account? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1005
Original post by blinkofaneyee
Is there anyone still waiting on Nottingham / had to hand in their portfolios through email as there's a technical problem with their MyNottingham account? :smile:

I'm still waiting on them, but I handed by portfolio through the Nottingham portal account :/ do i need to ask them if they have received it??
Wbu?
Reply 1006
Got an offer to UCL (AAB) this afternoon!!! So so so happy! After my interview I really though I wasn't getting in! What a relief.. -t's my first choice by a long shot..
- Interviewed on 11th of Feb if anyone's interested! If anyone else was there on that day and got an offer pm me!:smile:
Best of luck to everyone waiting!
Original post by cowie
Got an offer to UCL (AAB) this afternoon!!! So so so happy! After my interview I really though I wasn't getting in! What a relief.. -t's my first choice by a long shot..
- Interviewed on 11th of Feb if anyone's interested! If anyone else was there on that day and got an offer pm me!:smile:

One of my friends also got an offer a few hours ago :smile: Congrats!
Original post by cowie

Congrats!!! You must be over the moon! UCL! Im really happy for you!
Original post by cowie

That is amazing! Congrats! :biggrin:
Original post by cowie

Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="adds24;63030659"]

I'm still waiting on them, but I handed by portfolio through the Nottingham portal account :/ do i need to ask them if they have received it??
Wbu?

Alrightt.. Idk either:/ I'm still waiting and is not sure if they have received it..but when did you hand it in/when was your deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1012
[QUOTE="blinkofaneyee;63035345"]
Original post by adds24

Alrightt.. Idk either:/ I'm still waiting and is not sure if they have received it..but when did you hand it in/when was your deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay and my deadline was the 19th of feb wbu, i handed it in a few days before the 19th
[QUOTE="adds24;63036733"]

Ahh okay and my deadline was the 19th of feb wbu, i handed it in a few days before the 19th

Ohh that makes sense then? My deadline was 17th Feb, handed in a day before. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cowie

Cowie, congrats! U deserve it, dude, your portifolio IS the best one posted thus far! what about the others? Was it unconditional? Hey, can those who went in Feb post their status please?
Original post by nairline
Would say to take up manc definitely. I don't know what you prefer, but it's the larger city out of the two. There's so much to do here, which is important during the formative years of your life especially as an architecture student - you want to expose yourself to all aspects of culture within the arts, music etc.. Plus the facilities and the school is amazing... You'll be working in a proper art school the benefits of which can be felt due to the constant mingling with students from other disciplines.. I'm doing an art foundation at MSA currently and its the best thing. You'll have the best time in Manchester ! :smile:

Ah thank you !! i definetly respect manchester as a city, and yeh the mingling thing is so important for creativity! ( I actually havn't been but I've heard lots)
I think I haven't posted my portfolio yet so I'll just throw it here :smile: have a good weekend y'all! :smile:
https://francescopasquino97.carbonmade.com/projects/5943191
Original post by Francescopsq97
I think I haven't posted my portfolio yet so I'll just throw it here :smile: have a good weekend y'all! :smile:
https://francescopasquino97.carbonmade.com/projects/5943191

very nice & a variety of work Francesco!!! have u received the invitation for the ucl interview??
Original post by damonmc
very nice & a variety of work Francesco!!! have u received the invitation for the ucl interview??

thank you! I got neither a rejection nor an interview, I guess I don't have to wait too long now, since this week is going to me March which means last month of interviews. I think they'll let me know soon wether I'll have to go to the interview or if they will just reject me.
Original post by cowie

Well done on your offer!!! I have my interview next week and I'm so nervous! What did you include in your portfolio and what types of things were you asked?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending