Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there I have got really stuck on the following question can someone show me how to solve it. Thanks.

Fanfold paper for computer printers is made by putting perforations every 30 cm in a continuous roll of paper. A box of fanfold paper contains 2000 sheets.
    (i) State the length of the continuous rolls from which the box of paper is produced.

The manufactures claim that faults occur at random and at an average rate of 1 per 240 meters of paper.
    (ii) State an appropriated distribution for the number of faults per box of paper. Find the probability that a box op paper has no faults and also that it has more than 4 faults.

2 copies of a report which runs to 100 sheets per copy are printed on this sort of paper.
    (iii) Find the probability that there are no faults in either copy of the report and also the probability that just one copy is faulty.

Thanks guys for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewis1008)
    Hello there I have got really stuck on the following question can someone show me how to solve it. Thanks.

Fanfold paper for computer printers is made by putting perforations every 30 cm in a continuous roll of paper. A box of fanfold paper contains 2000 sheets.
    (i) State the length of the continuous rolls from which the box of paper is produced.

The manufactures claim that faults occur at random and at an average rate of 1 per 240 meters of paper.
    (ii) State an appropriated distribution for the number of faults per box of paper. Find the probability that a box op paper has no faults and also that it has more than 4 faults.

2 copies of a report which runs to 100 sheets per copy are printed on this sort of paper.
    (iii) Find the probability that there are no faults in either copy of the report and also the probability that just one copy is faulty.

Thanks guys for the help
    Let's get you started:

(i) You know each sheet of paper is 30cm long and that there are 2000 sheets in a box. So the total length of paper per box is X = ?

(ii) You have X metres of paper per box, so the expected number of faults per box is X/240 = m. Use m as the mean in a Poisson distribution. What then is P(0)? P(more than four) = 1 - P(0) - P(1) - P(2) - P(3) - P(4).

(iii) Work out the probability that a single book has no faults and work from there...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.