Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am not very sure how the command word define mean in an exam, because in the glossary, it mentions that you need the give the meaning of the words but not using the term itself. What exactly is that suggesting because normally I just write a definition for that word which is in the textbook. Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, I am not very sure how the command word define mean in an exam, because in the glossary, it mentions that you need the give the meaning of the words but not using the term itself. What exactly is that suggesting because normally I just write a definition for that word which is in the textbook. Thanks
    It means you can't define the word by using the word itself. If there is a textbook definition available, you just write what it says there.

For example, if I asked you to define the word "accurate", you can't turn around and say "Accurate is when you want some results to be as accurate to their true result". You can't use accurate to describe what accurate means.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.