Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A massive internet sensation recently quit social media because she realised that it was deceptive and took us away from real experiences (e.g. instead of going on adventures girls are too busy trying to dress up, put make up on post selfies on instagram etc).

So it really got me thinking.. is social media stopping us from really living our lives?

Note: this is the "internet famous" person I was referring to https://instagram.com/essenaoneill/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativebuzz)

So it really got me thinking.. is social media stopping us from really living our lives?
    No, if anything it is enhancing it.

Social media has allowed us to remain in close contact, and involved with our friends lives in a way where physical distance just doesnt matter anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Yes look at all these sad, pathetic human beings wasting away their lives on The Student Room; I'm glad I'm not one of them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Who is the massive internet sensation?

ReputationRep:
    I think she's talking about a very extreme end of the picture as there are benefits to social media, but she is absolutely right in the fact that some people do forget there are people in real life who do matter a lot more than just a number representing ""friends"" on a screen.

I applaud her for what she did tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyI2Sugw6Yc

ReputationRep:
    Social media is a sign of the world changing. Like the internet becoming part of all of our lives a decade or more ago, social media is being integrated into literally everything. Think about it. Nearly all businesses use a social media platform, you see social media on television programmes like a Twitter hashtag in the corner or a show live tweeting during it to advertise it, more communication between loved ones and friends, and even political issues are now being settled with social media. It's a wide growing thing, and has been going since the early days of MySpace, and it's only going to get bigger.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that we've become way too obsessed with social media. It's so easy to turn to strangers on the internet rather than close friends at 3am when we're feeling overwhelmed. It's so easy to slip into finding validation in the number of likes we get on an instagram post, or in our follower-following ratio on twitter. However, I think it's not social media that's to blame, it's the lack of balance we have in our lives.

I think if we see social media as supplementary to real-life, face-to-face relationships then it can be really healthy and really beneficial. Somethings just can't be said without emojis , however, we have to understand that it's not a substitute for these real relationships with real people. If we invest more in real life as we do the internet, we'll find the balance. I don't think cutting it out completely is the answer though - it can be very functional ie: work-related email correspondence, easy access to information etc

ReputationRep:
    "it's" happening

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.