The Student Room Group

A101 Birmingham 2016 entry

Hi all,

I was looking in the forums and I couldn't find a thread for the A101 graduate entry medicine at Birmingham 2016, so I decided to start one now.

Also, has anyone heard about their application beyond the acknowledgment, received and reviewing?

I spoke with a colleague on my MSc and he mentioned he had received a rejection email last week! So I'm a bit anxious now.

Feel free to disscuss the buildup to the interview, acceptance and (touch wood) rejection process.

Teki
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PkT1991
Hi all,

I was looking in the forums and I couldn't find a thread for the A101 graduate entry medicine at Birmingham 2016, so I decided to start one now.

Also, has anyone heard about their application beyond the acknowledgment, received and reviewing?

I spoke with a colleague on my MSc and he mentioned he had received a rejection email last week! So I'm a bit anxious now.

Feel free to disscuss the buildup to the interview, acceptance and (touch wood) rejection process.

Teki

Nice to see someone started a thread for this :smile: as of yet I've only had the acknowledgement email, nothing more than this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Also, do you know what the rejection was for? Maybe they didn't meet the entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by KirstieW
Also, do you know what the rejection was for? Maybe they didn't meet the entry requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I've only received a generic acknowledgement email too.

That's a tough one I didn't ask him specifically but I might now; I thought it'd be inappropriate to ask :tongue:

My guess might be low academic grades at A-levels since he did mention it wasn't the general AAA/BB.
Reply 4
Original post by PkT1991
Thanks! I've only received a generic acknowledgement email too.

That's a tough one I didn't ask him specifically but I might now; I thought it'd be inappropriate to ask :tongue:

My guess might be low academic grades at A-levels since he did mention it wasn't the general AAA/BB.

Ah that might do it. I don't see why you would apply if you haven't got the A-levels seeing as though they rank using that too.
I received a rejection email last week then I got an email the following day saying they'd made a mistake with my application and I was still being considered and they didn't actually reject me, I couldn't believe it! Does anyone know when the medical schools get our UKCAT scores?
Reply 6
Original post by chloemcgrath
I received a rejection email last week then I got an email the following day saying they'd made a mistake with my application and I was still being considered and they didn't actually reject me, I couldn't believe it! Does anyone know when the medical schools get our UKCAT scores?

A101 is graduate entry. Are you applying undergraduate (A100)? UKCAT isn't used for A101.
Ahh sorry guys from thread haha
Reply 8
On the grad entry thread someone has said they got a rejection from Birmingham because of a late application that wasn't late. I wonder if that's happened to anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by chloemcgrath

Regarding the UKCAT scores being sent out, it is today! :wink:

Best of luck; and thank god it was a mistake on their part. It seems that SGUL has also been getting mistakes with late applications received but this was for the graduate entry medicine.

Teki
Reply 10
On the grad entry thread someone has said they got a rejection from Birmingham because of a late application that wasn't late. I wonder if that's happened to anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm seems like UCAS might have messed up as the same posts are appearing about SGUL grad course too.

PS. I just received in email today from Bham about my application (I nearly **** myself) but it was among the line of:

"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Team and has now been referred to the Admissions Tutor for further consideration.

As the programme you have applied for holds interviews as part of the selection process you will be notified if you are shortlisted. Please be aware that the shortlisting process can take some time and interviews may run until Spring 2016."

Hopefully that's a good thing! Best of luck to you too!

Teki

PS. I asked my course mate who got rejected and said there was no feedback what so ever; so we can most likely confirm that he did not meet the grade requirements. (sucks for him!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PkT1991
Hmmm seems like UCAS might have messed up as the same posts are appearing about SGUL grad course too.

PS. I just received in email today from Bham about my application (I nearly **** myself) but it was among the line of:

"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Team and has now been referred to the Admissions Tutor for further consideration.

As the programme you have applied for holds interviews as part of the selection process you will be notified if you are shortlisted. Please be aware that the shortlisting process can take some time and interviews may run until Spring 2016."

Hopefully that's a good thing! Best of luck to you too!

Teki

PS. I asked my course mate who got rejected and said there was no feedback what so ever; so we can most likely confirm that he did not meet the grade requirements. (sucks for him!)

Ah I already had that email! I did get one today though saying it is still being reviewed.

Did you ask whether there was feedback on UCAS? SGUL lot were saying they didn't have feedback in the email but when they logged in it said it was due to it being submitted after the deadline or something. But if he doesn't really care then that's one less person I'm up against anyway hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Ah I already had that email! I did get one today though saying it is still being reviewed.

Did you ask whether there was feedback on UCAS? SGUL lot were saying they didn't have feedback in the email but when they logged in it said it was due to it being submitted after the deadline or something. But if he doesn't really care then that's one less person I'm up against anyway hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope I didn't, but he said he received no feedback what so ever and just a straight up rejection on UCAS. I'll ask him again for specifics when I see him (he's going to hate me for pestering). I think he's not too bothered (not sure if that's the right attitude tbh) but he has his eyes set for Oxford... and touché to that, one less person to compete with! :biggrin:

And it seems like Bham has filtered off the first batch of candidates that hasn't met the grade requirements–I'm just happy that I got this far!
Original post by PkT1991
Nope I didn't, but he said he received no feedback what so ever and just a straight up rejection on UCAS. I'll ask him again for specifics when I see him (he's going to hate me for pestering). I think he's not too bothered (not sure if that's the right attitude tbh) but he has his eyes set for Oxford... and touché to that, one less person to compete with! :biggrin:

And it seems like Bham has filtered off the first batch of candidates that hasn't met the grade requirements–I'm just happy that I got this far!

How do you know that for sure?? If so, thank god cos I didn't know if my B at GCSE English would let me down :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got unsuccessful from Birmingham with absolutely no reason; just said unsuccessful application and "UCAS does not hold any further information about why you have been unsuccessful in this application." I have all A and A*s at GCSE, AAAA* at A level including biology and chemistry, and predicted 1st biomed degree (still studying). I have a decent amount of work experience too. I've emailed for feedback but nothing, so I assume I've just been rejected and thats that! :smile: Wish it was a UCAS mistake but I doubt it...
Reply 15
Original post by elizabethrbt
I got unsuccessful from Birmingham with absolutely no reason; just said unsuccessful application and "UCAS does not hold any further information about why you have been unsuccessful in this application." I have all A and A*s at GCSE, AAAA* at A level including biology and chemistry, and predicted 1st biomed degree (still studying). I have a decent amount of work experience too. I've emailed for feedback but nothing, so I assume I've just been rejected and thats that! :smile: Wish it was a UCAS mistake but I doubt it...

You cannot apply to Birmingham for GEM unless you have already graduated at the time of application!

"We will consider, normally, those applicants who have completed a life science degree at the time of application". (From the UoB website)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHSFan
You cannot apply to Birmingham for GEM unless you have already graduated at the time of application!

"We will consider, normally, those applicants who have completed a life science degree at the time of application". (From the UoB website)

Oh wow thanks! I didn't look too greatly into Birmingham as it was a 4th choice for me- but thanks for letting me know (I'm an idiot for not reading!)
Reply 17
Oh wow thanks! I didn't look too greatly into Birmingham as it was a 4th choice for me- but thanks for letting me know (I'm an idiot for not reading!)

Good luck with your other choices! :smile:
Hi everyone,

Good luck with your grad entry medicine applications. We've also noticed lots of comments from people saying that UCAS has assigned applications as 'unsuccessful' as an error.

We're sorry to hear about your rejection from Birmingham elizabethrbt. At least it had nothing to do with your academic achievements - it seems like you're doing pretty well so far!

We're now in the run up to interview offers, and we hope you guys get the invited for them! We found this page on the Birmingham University Graduate Entry Medicine pages, which gives information about the interview process:

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-mds/courses/undergraduate/Medicine-and-Surgery-MBChB/Graduate-Entry-Medicine-Interview-Information.pdf

It's pretty useful, and comprehensively covers what kinds of questions there will be!

Also, if anyone is interested, We're putting on a free talk in London at the Royal Society of Medicine about graduate entry medicine abroad, but it covers all the general GEM interview stuff as well, so may be useful for you - feel free to book a place here.

Good luck!

TMP
Reply 19

That sucks but someone mentioned already but you have to have been awarded your BSc/BA prior to applying.

With your academic credentials you would have made a strong candidate! All the best with other three schools!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending