Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm the first to admit that in the past I have had problems with procrastination, but generally I've been able to overcome it, and did so last year to go on and get some great results (AACC) but just as I've started A2, it's become a major problem.

No matter what I try (filtering my computer; getting my parents to confiscate my phone; study music to help me focus and so forth) it always seems that I'll find some way to waste time.

I hate myself for it, as I usually take studying immensely seriously - but the pressure of A2 and applying to UCAS have really overwhelmed me and I just choose to escape via YouTube or Buzzfeed, and I'm starting to think that I'll never fulfill my dream of going to University.

Although it's only the beginning of the year, I'm already falling behind on work and I'm slowly loosing it - I don't want this stupid habit to ruin my life chances!

Do you guys have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    When you say procrastinating, what do you mean?
    Everyone procrastinates to some degree...

ReputationRep:
    If you just wait a while I'll get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to-be-continued)
    i'm the first to admit that in the past i have had problems with procrastination, but generally i've been able to overcome it, and did so last year to go on and get some great results (aacc) but just as i've started a2, it's become a major problem.

No matter what i try (filtering my computer; getting my parents to confiscate my phone; study music to help me focus and so forth) it always seems that i'll find some way to waste time.

I hate myself for it, as i usually take studying immensely seriously - but the pressure of a2 and applying to ucas have really overwhelmed me and i just choose to escape via youtube or buzzfeed, and i'm starting to think that i'll never fulfill my dream of going to university.

Although it's only the beginning of the year, i'm already falling behind on work and i'm slowly loosing it - i don't want this stupid habit to ruin my life chances!

just do it

ReputationRep:
    I'm the first to admit that in the past I have had problems with procrastination, but generally I've been able to overcome it, and did so last year to go on and get some great results (AACC) but just as I've started A2, it's become a major problem.

No matter what I try (filtering my computer; getting my parents to confiscate my phone; study music to help me focus and so forth) it always seems that I'll find some way to waste time.

I hate myself for it, as I usually take studying immensely seriously - but the pressure of A2 and applying to UCAS have really overwhelmed me and I just choose to escape via YouTube or Buzzfeed, and I'm starting to think that I'll never fulfill my dream of going to University.

Although it's only the beginning of the year, I'm already falling behind on work and I'm slowly loosing it - I don't want this stupid habit to ruin my life chances!

I'm right there with you. Don't worry EVERYONE procrastinates. But usually procrastination happens when you don't want to/want to avoid doing something.There is two ways to go about this.
    1) you could find out why you don't want to do it? Does it not interest you?Why?
    2) Think of the future. Think of it as you being nice to your future self by doing 'this' whether its studying or course work.
    -Break your time into chunks-25 minutes of revision and a 10 minute break doing what ever you want. This way you get to have both worlds.
    -make a mood board. Whats your ambition, what do you want to do in university? Every time you look at it you should feel inspired.
    -Start a hobby. This will ensure that the free time you have is spent productively so that you don't feel like its 'ruining your life'
    - watch videos that will motivate you. Youtube is such a great place to get inspired, my current faves are JK Rowling Harvard speech!
    -Whenever you feel like procrastinating....stop. I know its not easy,i find myself doing it ll the time...damn you instagram. But you'll thank yourself later
    Hope any of this helps and GOOD LUCK!!

ReputationRep:

What grades do you want to see on your results sheet at the end of the year and why do you want them?

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean - I procrastinated all through the summer with regards to doing homework or finding a job and now I just can't seem to get back into the habit of studying again. I know that this year is really important but I just have so much to do it sometimes seems pointless to even try.
    One thing that really helps me is just setting a timer for x amount of minutes and trying to work solidly for that period of time. It can be as little as 20 minutes, and then once the time is up you can give yourself a break. Breaking down my time into smaller chunks just somehow works better for me then setting aside a few hours to study which invariably means I get nothing done.
    Also apps like SelfControl are really good for blocking sites like Buzzfeed, Facebook etc and forcing you not to procrastinate.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.