Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Joint honours / single honours degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would like to be a secondary school teacher. The A levels that I am studying are French, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics. I have always wanted to be an English teacher however I am wavering towards the idea of possibly being a French teacher. So I thought I might do an English Literature and French joint honours degree. What I would like know is a) does doing a joint honours degree open your options or does it hinder your options? B) could I be a secondary school teacher if I have done a joint honours degree? C) does a joint honours degree not look as good (in terms of the lack of depth you study each module with a joint honours) as a single honours degree? D) which is overall better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by existential)
    Hi, I would like to be a secondary school teacher. The A levels that I am studying are French, English Literature and Philosophy & Ethics. I have always wanted to be an English teacher however I am wavering towards the idea of possibly being a French teacher. So I thought I might do an English Literature and French joint honours degree. What I would like know is a) does doing a joint honours degree open your options or does it hinder your options? B) could I be a secondary school teacher if I have done a joint honours degree? C) does a joint honours degree not look as good (in terms of the lack of depth you study each module with a joint honours) as a single honours degree? D) which is overall better?
    Secondary school teacher? It doesn't matter. As long as you get a degree about the subject in question it's fine. Same goes for joint honours as long as it includes the subject you wish to teach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Secondary school teacher? It doesn't matter. As long as you get a degree about the subject in question it's fine. Same goes for joint honours as long as it includes the subject you wish to teach
    Thank you! So would having a joint honours degree mean I could chose either subject (of my joint honours) to do a PGCE in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by existential)
    Thank you! So would having a joint honours degree mean I could chose either subject (of my joint honours) to do a PGCE in?
    "you studied one of these subjects as part of your degree.."

It's fine

http://www.gold.ac.uk/pgce/apply/entrance-requirements/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    "you studied one of these subjects as part of your degree.."

It's fine

http://www.gold.ac.uk/pgce/apply/entrance-requirements/
    Thanks so much for your help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.