Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do UK students have to pay for dental or eyesight check ups? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, a UK resident and in full time education. Am I entitled to any help with anual dentist or optician costs?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    I'm 23, a UK resident and in full time education. Am I entitled to any help with anual dentist or optician costs?

Thanks
    Fill in a HC1 form and then you might get something off.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Yes I am afraid, except you are in receipt of benefits etc. You can get a voucher that covers an optician cost though. I think The Mirror Newspaper has a free Specsavers eye test (selected stores) voucher at the back of their paper, which you tear off.

"You may get help with the cost of glasses or contact lenses if you: are aged under 16, or aged under 19 and in full-time education or. are eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher (your ophthalmic practitioner will advise you on your entitlement) a prisoner on leave from prison" http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...carecosts.aspx
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Just to add to the above - some opticians (I know Specsavers do, for example) may offer student discounts with a uni / NUS card.

ReputationRep:
    You can, I filled in a HC1 form and I get my prescriptions and dental treatment free now.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    It depends on your income- if you fill in an HC1 form, you have to declare all sources of income like loans, parental contribution,, part time job e.c.t- the NHS may give you free treatment if you aren't earning much at all, or they might say you have to pay the first however much towards treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Just to add to the above - some opticians (I know Specsavers do, for example) may offer student discounts with a uni / NUS card.
    Please don't go to Specsavers OP! (Have to say this every time I see Specsavers mentioned :P )

But to answer the question:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...carecosts.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ntalcosts.aspx

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.