Lipids and Organelles Watch

JordiB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
1. How would percentage of lipid in plasma membrane by mass be calculated?

2. What is an advantage of having a higher percentage of cholesterol in red blood cells than in cells lining the ileum?

3. Name an organelle that would be found in large numbers in a mucus-secreting cell and describe its role in production of mucus. (Would this be mitochondria to produce energy needed in order to produce mucus?)

Thank you!
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by JordiB)
1. How would percentage of lipid in plasma membrane by mass be calculated?

2. What is an advantage of having a higher percentage of cholesterol in red blood cells than in cells lining the ileum?

3. Name an organelle that would be found in large numbers in a mucus-secreting cell and describe its role in production of mucus. (Would this be mitochondria to produce energy needed in order to produce mucus?)

Thank you!
I'm not sure to what depth you require for these answers, but here's just a basic look.

1) You take the weight of the lipids in the plasma membrane, then you take the weight of all of the components in the plasma membrane (I imagine this would be done by centrifugation, then once you've measured the weight of the membrane, add some lipases and wash out to calculate how much lipids you have).

2) You'll have to think of the function of cholesterol, and how this aids in the function of RBCs in comparison to the function of cells lining the ileum.

3) You'll have to think specifically to which organelle is responsible for the secretion of cellular contents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed