Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Finance Is A Joke. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Didn't attend my first university withdrew from it before it started to attend my local one for medical reasons , got accepted on the course.

Rang student finance to ask what i need to do.
    They said send a new form (i have done)
    Still no payment...and student finance hasn't updated.
    just rang them they said i didn't need to send a new form...just get my new university to send a ''Change of circumstance form saying they had accepted me''

The university want there first payment on the 27th , the lady on the phone said if they send it on Monday it will be paid on the 29th.

Wtf? am i to do.

The lady on the phone was so angry at her colleagues for misleading me she said she'd report it to her duty manager.

ReputationRep:
    you wait

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain this to the university? It would be unreasonable for them to not accept it. My friend who is self funded doesn't have to pay up straight away so I think it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Tell the university the difficulty you're having with student finance and explain that your payment will be a bit late.

They get it a lot, tell them politely and you won't have an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so livid with them it's absolutely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with dean01234.

Also, I don't think the university would mind it being 2 days late, though then again, best consult this with them.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...

I'm taking all my evidence i've sent everything to them on Monday lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoltguyboo)
    Didn't attend my first university withdrew from it before it started to attend my local one for medical reasons , got accepted on the course.

Rang student finance to ask what i need to do.
    They said send a new form (i have done)
    Still no payment...and student finance hasn't updated.
    just rang them they said i didn't need to send a new form...just get my new university to send a ''Change of circumstance form saying they had accepted me''

The university want there first payment on the 27th , the lady on the phone said if they send it on Monday it will be paid on the 29th.

Wtf? am i to do.

The lady on the phone was so angry at her colleagues for misleading me she said she'd report it to her duty manager.
    Student Finance are like a chocolate tea pot

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely useless

My uni won't wait for the fee's so they are going to remove me off the course as i can't afford to pay it myself.

Ty Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    I am having the same problem with these punch & Judy set up called student finance, i was supposed to be paid on 14th sept still waiting. they have made loads of mistakes I have complained over 47 times and they are refusing to take anymore complaints as I have too many!!!!!!!let me know how you get on would like to see you get this sorted with them. Does anyone know where to go to get help to sort student finance out?? as they have made HUGE mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeeWestwick)
    I am having the same problem with these punch & Judy set up called student finance, i was supposed to be paid on 14th sept still waiting. they have made loads of mistakes I have complained over 47 times and they are refusing to take anymore complaints as I have too many!!!!!!!let me know how you get on would like to see you get this sorted with them. Does anyone know where to go to get help to sort student finance out?? as they have made HUGE mistakes.
    I go back to Uni tomorrow and i'm speaking to the Finance lady there they have agreed they've made a complete mess up.

ReputationRep:
    My student finance lady at University sent in a change of circumstance form for me and she said that should be the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    ** PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP??** Any ideas im on the verge of loosing everything because of Student Chocolate Tea Pot Finance.

I did not take any GCSE's at all then a year later did a GNVQ & re took math & English GCSE's. I then did nothing after that, I have suffered mental illnesses & was in a major RTA.
    I want to get my life back on track and get an education now I am in a position to do so.
    I enrolled and got a place studying a HND in computer programming. I had to take a test in maths and English to be able to gain entry. I have been on my course
    Now 2 months.
    I applied for student finance on 2nd September. I called them to ask what evidence they needed from me. They was not too clear about this on the phone so I sent them everything I had even if they did not need it.
    My application had been approved, they had received my signed declaration and had confirmation from my place of study that I was in attendance, my finance was in place and I was due to be paid on the 14th September. Although this time came and gone still no payment.
    3 weeks after I realised they had my national insurance number kind of wrong they had a C on the end when it was a D.
    I called them they admitted it was their mistake. I said can't they correct it as my correct NI NUMBER WAS ON ALL MY EVEIDENCE.
    THEY SAID NO I NEEDED TO SIGN AND SEND A FORM CORRECTING THIS ALTHOUGH IT WAS THEIR FAULT.
    I did this and they received it on a Monday, an advisor lied to me and said they would send it off to check and would take a week.
    2weeks later they said to me sorry we forgot.
    How can they forget something like this. They had told me I needed to send a letter from my doctor stating I am independent. I did this going on their advice and paid £25 for my doctor to do me a letter. 2weeks later they get back to me sayi it is not good enough, they needed to know more about care and leaving care.
    At this point I went crazy on the phone to them how is that even relevant I left care at 14 years old.
    I again got another letter from my doctor another £25. Waited a week and then they told me that there was another account in my name something I knew nothing about.
    I complained to a manager who told me I did not need to do anything at all he would personally transfer all the info on to one account. Ok a week later he had only transferred my email and phone number.
    I complained again & was promised I would be high priority as also my Disabled grant application was over its processing time.
    I had to re submit my application all over again and send my evidence again.
    By this time I'm pulling my hair out.
    A week later they "accidentally' deleted my application :-0
    I was told I had to do it all over again. I did this by this time having no hair left and going crazy at them.
    I was supposed to be paid on the 14th September. My place of study are waiting for the tuition fee.
    A week later my application was finally approved, now every day I log in it changes everyday from approved payments scheduled to awaiting confirmation.
    I have made 47 complaints I have emailed them 267 times.
    And now they are saying I am not eligible for finance because I have done a HND before I have no idea where they got this info from as it is not correct.
    They told me I did a HND when I was 17. Now clearly this is impossible to do at that age without doing a diploma first.
    They said I needed to contact a college and get them to confirm that I did not do a HND and also contact edexcel which I have done both and they both confirmed I do not have a HND.
    I have complained until Im blue in the face for them to sort out their errors. They are still not sorting this out. They are still saying they do not believe I don't have a HND.
    Even though they have received emails from edexcel stating I don't hold any qualifications with them at all.
    I phone up to make a complaint and they refuse to take my complaint as I have already made over 40! I'm sorry but I never knew there was a limit on complaints someone can make.
    ***SOMEONE please help I do not know where to turn to now for help, I am at risk of having to drop out of my course and all I want to do is get an education and get my life back on track****
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ** PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP??** Any ideas im on the verge of loosing everything because of Student Chocolate Tea Pot Finance.

I did not take any GCSE's at all then a year later did a GNVQ & re took math & English GCSE's. I then did nothing after that, I have suffered mental illnesses & was in a major RTA.
    I want to get my life back on track and get an education now I am in a position to do so.
    I enrolled and got a place studying a HND in computer programming. I had to take a test in maths and English to be able to gain entry. I have been on my course
    Now 2 months.
    I applied for student finance on 2nd September. I called them to ask what evidence they needed from me. They was not too clear about this on the phone so I sent them everything I had even if they did not need it.
    My application had been approved, they had received my signed declaration and had confirmation from my place of study that I was in attendance, my finance was in place and I was due to be paid on the 14th September. Although this time came and gone still no payment.
    3 weeks after I realised they had my national insurance number kind of wrong they had a C on the end when it was a D.
    I called them they admitted it was their mistake. I said can't they correct it as my correct NI NUMBER WAS ON ALL MY EVEIDENCE.
    THEY SAID NO I NEEDED TO SIGN AND SEND A FORM CORRECTING THIS ALTHOUGH IT WAS THEIR FAULT.
    I did this and they received it on a Monday, an advisor lied to me and said they would send it off to check and would take a week.
    2weeks later they said to me sorry we forgot.
    How can they forget something like this. They had told me I needed to send a letter from my doctor stating I am independent. I did this going on their advice and paid £25 for my doctor to do me a letter. 2weeks later they get back to me sayi it is not good enough, they needed to know more about care and leaving care.
    At this point I went crazy on the phone to them how is that even relevant I left care at 14 years old.
    I again got another letter from my doctor another £25. Waited a week and then they told me that there was another account in my name something I knew nothing about.
    I complained to a manager who told me I did not need to do anything at all he would personally transfer all the info on to one account. Ok a week later he had only transferred my email and phone number.
    I complained again & was promised I would be high priority as also my Disabled grant application was over its processing time.
    I had to re submit my application all over again and send my evidence again.
    By this time I'm pulling my hair out.
    A week later they "accidentally' deleted my application :-0
    I was told I had to do it all over again. I did this by this time having no hair left and going crazy at them.
    I was supposed to be paid on the 14th September. My place of study are waiting for the tuition fee.
    A week later my application was finally approved, now every day I log in it changes everyday from approved payments scheduled to awaiting confirmation.
    I have made 47 complaints I have emailed them 267 times.
    And now they are saying I am not eligible for finance because I have done a HND before I have no idea where they got this info from as it is not correct.
    They told me I did a HND when I was 17. Now clearly this is impossible to do at that age without doing a diploma first.
    They said I needed to contact a college and get them to confirm that I did not do a HND and also contact edexcel which I have done both and they both confirmed I do not have a HND.
    I have complained until Im blue in the face for them to sort out their errors. They are still not sorting this out. They are still saying they do not believe I don't have a HND.
    Even though they have received emails from edexcel stating I don't hold any qualifications with them at all.
    I phone up to make a complaint and they refuse to take my complaint as I have already made over 40! I'm sorry but I never knew there was a limit on complaints someone can make.
    ***SOMEONE please help I do not know where to turn to now for help, I am at risk of having to drop out of my course and all I want to do is get an education and get my life back on track****
    Firstly, make sure you have paper copies of all evidence you need and all correspondence with student finance. Do everything in writing if at all possible. If phone calls are necessary try to record them and take the name of everyone you talk to. Always stay calm and if they make a contradictory statement pick them up on it "So you state that I have a HND despite me having written statements from both the exam board and college that I do not. Can you confirm to me that is what you are saying? What proof would you deem sufficient then? Sorry what was your name again?' etc.

You should complain to them in the first instance. Use every modality available. Get recorded evidence that they are refusing to listen to your calm and collected concerns.

In the event that you are getting nowhere then I would contact the financial ombudsman and potentially citizen's advice bureau to enquire into how to proceed with legal action. Generally speaking, once a company hears the word 'ombudsman' they suddenly become a lot more helpful and the problems melt away.

The key is to have cast-iron proof documented and with you. With that you will win. Its just about how long it takes.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel have emailed me I forwarded it to STF, as talking to them on the phone not one person will talk to me Thier is a note on Thier system saying they are not allowed too. As per the CEO OF STF. Who apparently is administering my account. Asking them to speak to him so I can discuss my account is impossible. So I am clueless as to what is happening as I can not speak to anyone. And have received no correspondence.
    When my student advisors call STF it's the same they won't speak to them

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with this please,
    I'm currently in year 2 will I still receive funding for the fourth year if I transfer to a four year course?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by anita-573)
    Can anyone help me with this please,
    I'm currently in year 2 will I still receive funding for the fourth year if I transfer to a four year course?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you transferring to the first year of the four-year course? I'm pretty sure there's something called a 'gift year' which allows for one to drop out after first year and still get full funding on another degree, but I'm not sure whether dropping out in year 2 would allow that. You might have to pay for fourth year yourself :dontknow:

I recommend contacting Student Finance England (or Wales, Scotland or NI, depending on where your parents' permanent address is).

ReputationRep:
    No I just wanted to change from BSc to MSci so i would like to do an extra year than what Im currently down for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by anita-573)
    No I just wanted to change from BSc to MSci so i would like to do an extra year than what Im currently down for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, it should be covered in that case. Call them anyway, just to make sure. You don't want to switch and then realise that you can't pay for final year.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.