Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will it now be impossible for a career as a police officer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The dream of a career as a police officer could be over for a generation of young people due to government cuts

We were discussing police careers in the careers room at college and it became apparent that a whole generation of young people who dream of joining the police will not be able to because of massive government cuts to the police.

Many forces are being forced to reduce the actual numbers of police they have over the next 10 years. That being the case recruitment is totally out of the question. There may be odd vacancies but they will be for trained officers only. In many years should training vacancies come available, then they will be very few. With a lot of young people waiting many years for that day, you could expect thousands of applicants per vacancy. Unless you have experience in the armed forces and a degree, then you have no chance.

One route is to become a PCSO, but even then many forces are cutting PCSOs and some doing away with them altogether! Becoming and unpaid special constable is another route but it costs several thousand to train up specials so there will be cuts to that budget too.

During our discussion many of us were not surprised that getting into the police is harder than getting into medical school or becoming an airline pilot.

In all it seems that a career as a police officer is becoming and unrealistic dream for the present generation

What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Joined The Met earlier this year after doing a CKP and being offered a position to a future DI. Was undertaking my two years of training/probationary period however earlier this month was told that due to budget reductions my position was no longer available and that I'd have to be let go, however there will be a reassessment next year and that I will be notified of any changes. A friend of mine was offered a position however was contacted about two weeks later and told that his position isn't available due to a change in circumstance and that he will have to wait until next year also.

With that being said, unfortunately with the new Tory government the austerity measures have meant that vacancies will be more limited- open recruitment was open until recently as far as I'm aware but will most likely close or would have already closed. Some departments however will still have openings but there will not be an open recruitment, so it's all really dependant on location, roles and its openings.

I didn't take the PCSO route so I'm not positioned to talk about that however what I would say is that if the departments budget doesn't allow for it then it the route taken makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    The dream of a career as a police officer could be over for a generation of young people due to government cuts

We were discussing police careers in the careers room at college and it became apparent that a whole generation of young people who dream of joining the police will not be able to because of massive government cuts to the police.

Many forces are being forced to reduce the actual numbers of police they have over the next 10 years. That being the case recruitment is totally out of the question. There may be odd vacancies but they will be for trained officers only. In many years should training vacancies come available, then they will be very few. With a lot of young people waiting many years for that day, you could expect thousands of applicants per vacancy. Unless you have experience in the armed forces and a degree, then you have no chance.

One route is to become a PCSO, but even then many forces are cutting PCSOs and some doing away with them altogether! Becoming and unpaid special constable is another route but it costs several thousand to train up specials so there will be cuts to that budget too.

During our discussion many of us were not surprised that getting into the police is harder than getting into medical school or becoming an airline pilot.

In all it seems that a career as a police officer is becoming and unrealistic dream for the present generation

What are your opinions?
    Well, this is just completely incorrect. They are facing massive cuts and this will mean they may recruit fewer new intakes but they will still recruit.

I'm currently going through the application process with West Midlands Police, for example.

There is also the graduate scheme and Police Now scheme.

And yes like you said PCSOs, or training as a Special Constable and joining full time that way.

It is more difficult but it is not impossible.

Also, if this is your 'dream' there are many other roles which involve working with the public which would be just as rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Well, this is just completely incorrect. They are facing massive cuts and this will mean they may recruit fewer new intakes but they will still recruit.

I'm currently going through the application process with West Midlands Police, for example.

There is also the graduate scheme and Police Now scheme.

And yes like you said PCSOs, or training as a Special Constable and joining full time that way.

It is more difficult but it is not impossible.

Also, if this is your 'dream' there are many other roles which involve working with the public which would be just as rewarding.
    I'm not considering a police career myself, we just got into the discussion in the careers room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)

What are your opinions?

Yeah it's hard to get in.

Some Forces are still recruiting atm and depending on what happens in a few months time when new cuts are introduced, that will determine if recruiting goes ahead.

However with the creation of Police Now, which is taking on 100+ Officers this year, it will only get bigger from each year onwards. Every Force will recruit at least once in a 5 year period (an estimate on my part) but the government being the government make things worse.

ReputationRep:
    I think probably the best route for those who dream of policing is to join the Royal Military Police. I know armed forces are also facing cuts but army and RMP recruitment is always open.

Being in the RMP can be just as exciting if not more exciting than being a civilian police officer! There are many advantages such as travel, much faster promotion, fire arms training, and the status of being attached to elite units such as the paras etc.
    In addition for those who still want to be a civvy police officer then experience in the RMP will make that a lot easier to get into.

Tbh in years to come a career as a civvy police officer is fast becoming a non-starter.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.