Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Getting cars which are 6-12 months old with few miles can see savings of thousands, but where do people go?

I'm saving for something better but the savings on nearly new cars can make them very viable from a financial viewpoint for 2-3 years, largely owing to the saving you get at purchase point.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    Getting cars which are 6-12 months old with few miles can see savings of thousands, but where do people go?

I'm saving for something better but the savings on nearly new cars can make them very viable from a financial viewpoint for 2-3 years, largely owing to the saving you get at purchase point.

Any ideas?
    Go to pre-owned vehicles center of your brand choice. Nissan-Renault group and VW group prices are pretty good, try looking into them first. You will be able to get 6 months to 2 year old cars with prices of at least 40-60% less than when they were new, also with low mileage.

ReputationRep:
    go to bankrupcy auction i've seen car a year old sell for 15-20 of retail value of the new car

ReputationRep:
    BCA / Manheim.

ReputationRep:
    I have always found the sweet spot for cars is about three years old. At least that is where the major depreciation ends. If you can find a low mileage car you will be laughing all the way home. My first car was a 3 year old Astra with 37k on the clock for £5.5k. I sold it 10 years later with 150k+ on the clock for £400. Just bought a 4 year old Ibiza estate with 19k on the clock. I will be rather disappointed if it doesn't give more than 10 years of service. I don't see the point of new or even nearly new cars. They are far too expensive for what you get. Reliability and build quality are so good you gain nothing other than that new car smell and I can live without that.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.