Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently got my degree assessed by the IBMS and they said I needed to do four top up modules

Ive decided to do them at London Met via distance learning and doing 1/2 at a time while I keep my full time job.

My end goal is to work in an NHS hospital but at every turn I seem to hit a snag.

I rang IBMS and they said training in a lab takes a year, would this mean the only way to get my portfolio done in an NHS/ HCPC lab is to quit my job and earn no income for a year?

Are there any hospitals/ jobs which would potentially hire someone on the basis that theyre currently in the process of getting their degree accredited?

Like could I apply for say band 2/3 MLAs/ biomedical scientists and get my experience that way. Should I just ring up a load of hospital in my area seeing what they offer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    When I did my placement, I know that a few of the MLAs were beginning their portfolios so it can be done that way, I guess you just have to ask the hospital

ReputationRep:
    hey
    youre best bet is to apply for a band 3 or 4 mla or biomed support worker. dont go for a 2 because they may argue you wont get enough lab experience. there should be a training officer in each department who can guide you. if you've funded the modules yourself, then youre in the same position as any other BMS trainee who needs to complete thier portfolio - they have no grounds to say no. there may be a waiting list in the department as there could be other band 3s or 4s that need to complete theirs but theres no harm in trying and you can complete it in less than a year if you really knuckle down. this is my plan anyway, i would like to get my degree checked, i think that i will need to do a few top up modules too at london met hopefully. what degree did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just seen this and i'm in exactly the same position. I haven't paid to have my degree accredited yet but I know when I do i'll need to do some top up modules. How much has it cost you to pay for them? Would it be worth applying for a masters in Medical Microbiology? It's IBMS accredited and largely lab based. I'm stuck deciding which route is best to go down, either way it seems like it's quite a tough process to get HCPC registered especially if you need some form of income

ReputationRep:
    What's your undergrad degree? It's £250 to get it checked. If you need to do a few top up modules it will probably be cheaper than doing a whole MSc and quicker cause you can do your portfolio at the same time!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.