Turn on thread page Beta

Brown discharge out of vagina after I pass stools? watch

This is a rather embarrassing issue I have been experiencing and I am not sure if it is something to worry about or not. This has just started happening recently, I ran 3 packs of contraceptive pills together and therefore did not have a period for a while. When I was anticipating my next period, I started having this faded dark brown discharge, (not lumpy or anything just the normal clear discharge i experience however mixed with this brown tinge) when I passed a stool. I imagined it was just bit of old blood/my expected period being 'pushed' out when I was doing my business (sorry for being so graphic). I had my period and I haven't experienced this discharge again since, till now. I have switched pills and have experienced a rather lengthy period. It had stopped yesterday but last night and today when I went to the toilet, I experienced this brown discharge again when I passed a stool. Is this just remaining blood from my period or is something wrong? I have only experience right before/after my period so I imagine it is blood, but I am worried that it might be something else. I have an appointment with my GP in 5 days and Id be embarrassed to bring it up if it was just old blood.

ReputationRep:
    You should probably talk to your GP about this ASAP. If it is only happening after you pass stool, worst case scenario it could possibly be a fistula of some sort which if left unresolved could leave you vunerable to some nasty infections. That's not the only possibility of course it's quite unlikely but this isn't the sort of thing you should keep quiet over out of embarrassment.

Good luck, hope it's nothing!

(Original post by Nefarious)
    You should probably talk to your GP about this ASAP. If it is only happening after you pass stool, worst case scenario it could possibly be a fistula of some sort which if left unresolved could leave you vunerable to some nasty infections. That's not the only possibility of course it's quite unlikely but this isn't the sort of thing you should keep quiet over out of embarrassment.

Good luck, hope it's nothing!
    hey thanks for replying. yeah i read about those but its a not just a connection to bowel movement, more to having my periods and bowel movement. it doesn't happen at times when I'm not expecting a period and its only happened several times within 3 months or so. today when i had it, a few hours later my period started again which was a bit annoying. i will bring it up with my doctor though when i see her

anyone else know if it is just old blood? when i google it it just comes up with pregnancy forums and pregnant woman experiencing it but I obviously have a different case

I'd say that it's probably just old blood, running 3 packs of contraceptive pills has probably just left everything a bit out of tune, I'd give it a bit longer before going to the GP about it but then again if you have an appointment anyway you could always just bring it up now to save having to make another one

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't got any connection to your bowel movement
    The 'pushing' action when going to the loo also pushes the discharge out (sorry for getting so graphic) but this is common with regular discharge, just because it's a different colour does not mean it relates to the bowel movement at all, they're both from completely different areas of the body.
    When girls first start their period their first one can just be brown discharge.
    As long as the brown discharge is happening when you SHOULD have your period then I dont think there's anything to worry about, and going on the contraceptive pill ****s up your system completely so it's really not surprising that you get brown discharge instead of a normal period. It's also quite common to get this colour discharge when going off your period as it IS old blood
    Seriously nothing to be worried about, and there's not relation to the stool issue

(Original post by Heffalump .)
    The 'pushing' action when going to the loo also pushes the discharge out (sorry for getting so graphic) but this is common with regular discharge, just because it's a different colour does not mean it relates to the bowel movement at all, they're both from completely different areas of the body.
    When girls first start their period their first one can just be brown discharge.
    As long as the brown discharge is happening when you SHOULD have your period then I dont think there's anything to worry about, and going on the contraceptive pill ****s up your system completely so it's really not surprising that you get brown discharge instead of a normal period. It's also quite common to get this colour discharge when going off your period as it IS old blood
    Seriously nothing to be worried about, and there's not relation to the stool issue
    hey thanks for replying, you have confirmed what I thought/hoped it would be .

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'd say that it's probably just old blood, running 3 packs of contraceptive pills has probably just left everything a bit out of tune, I'd give it a bit longer before going to the GP about it but then again if you have an appointment anyway you could always just bring it up now to save having to make another one
    yes might bring it up briefly to confirm its nothing to worry about, thanks for the input

(Original post by Heffalump .)
    someone on quora said this:
    YES!!!If it smells like poop you have a fistula and may need surgery to repair it. It doesn't sound like this is the case but..... If not it is still a serious concern. Go see a Dr as soon as possible, an urgent care or ER. Today would be a good time.

I know i can't treat what i read online as a diagnosis but do you really think its as severe as they are making out? I'm seeing my gp on wednesday so will bring it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    or ER.
    Really?

(Original post by Etomidate)
    Really?
    i know lol.. i really doubt its a fistula as it is connected to my period and is scentless

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.