Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if I'm missing out on 'uni' life.
    I have about 3 close friends, two flatmates (one is my boyfriend) and about 20 not so close mates. I've been invited to quite a few parties (going to one tomorrow Actually) but feel like as I'm missing out on being a 'student' going clubbing, out every night...mainly because I don't have the money to feed myself most weeks
    I am in societies and do different things every week and have a few friends back home.
    I just feel like in every seminar people are discussing how 'amazing' uni life is...it's fun...but not amazing?? What am I missing?
    Anyone else feeling like this?

ReputationRep:
    How can you complain? Some struggle to even make friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marythestudent)
    I wonder if I'm missing out on 'uni' life.
    I have about 3 close friends, two flatmates (one is my boyfriend) and about 20 not so close mates. I've been invited to quite a few parties (going to one tomorrow Actually) but feel like as I'm missing out on being a 'student' going clubbing, out every night...mainly because I don't have the money to feed myself most weeks
    I am in societies and do different things every week and have a few friends back home.
    I just feel like in every seminar people are discussing how 'amazing' uni life is...it's fun...but not amazing?? What am I missing?
    Anyone else feeling like this?
    So get a part-time job. It's what I (and thousands of other students) have done to make the most out of uni and the opportunities it offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    So get a part-time job. It's what I (and thousands of other students) have done to make the most out of uni and the opportunities it offers.
    Its difficult to get a part time job when you don't have experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    Its difficult to get a part time job when you don't have experience.
    I have a part time job and worked for two years to save to be here....don't judge a book...

ReputationRep:
    Y.
    I have a part time job and worked for two years to save to be here....don't judge a book...
    Sorry...meant for 'The Reckless'

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking in general terms. I wasn't referring to you specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily.97)
    I was speaking in general terms. I wasn't referring to you specifically.
    Sorry Emily meant the comment to be for the other guy who said get a job...I've had one for two years full time while doing my extra a levels and have worked part time since I was 14 I now have a part time job since I started uni working most nights and all the days I have not in class

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone can afford to go out clubbing every night! And if you have any sense, you will 'preload' , go to a cheap student night and just not drink too much when you are in a club and make it clear you aren;t buying rounds!

You could get a part time job. And some banks will give you a student overdraft with very good terms and conditions (try Natwest.)

As year 1 draws to a close, people will be revising and normally by the 2nd year everyone's too skint to go out much so you are missing less than you think!

PS see the glass as half full. Some people commute and don't have the 'uni life' much at all while others struggle to make friends full stop! So theres nothing wrong with uni life being 'good' if not 'amazing!'

ReputationRep:
    Uni sounds pretty great for you to be honest, wish it was like that for me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    Not everyone can afford to go out clubbing every night! And if you have any sense, you will 'preload' , go to a cheap student night and just not drink too much when you are in a club and make it clear you aren;t buying rounds!

You could get a part time job. And some banks will give you a student overdraft with very good terms and conditions (try Natwest.)

As year 1 draws to a close, people will be revising and normally by the 2nd year everyone's too skint to go out much so you are missing less than you think!

PS see the glass as half full. Some people commute and don't have the 'uni life' much at all while others struggle to make friends full stop! So theres nothing wrong with uni life being 'good' if not 'amazing!'
    I'm in second year! My first year was really horrible so missed out on all of that pretty much...i was one of those struggling people last year :/
    Yeah I guess I just feel like I go into every class and people are telling me how brilliant their nights were...how.much fun they had etc...
    Dunno seems like loads of people go out every night even now I'm in second year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Uni sounds pretty great for you to be honest, wish it was like that for me...
    My first year was abysmal had to move rooms on campus because people were vile, dirty(filthy) , rude, could hear sex all night every night....then moved and was bullied horrendously so much that my boyfriend moved uni and our mate dropped out altogether..
    What was your experience like? If you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    My first year was abysmal had to move rooms on campus because people were vile, dirty(filthy) , rude, could hear sex all night every night....then moved and was bullied horrendously so much that my boyfriend moved uni and our mate dropped out altogether..
    What was your experience like? If you don't mind me asking?
    Your first year sounds really bad, sorry you had to go through that, I hope this year's a lot better for you.

I've only started uni five weeks ago, I don't really want to talk about it much to be honest, not because of anything like I think my issues are somewhat special or anything against you, I swear I don't think like that, I just don't say anything about this kind of stuff to anyone, I don't like talking about my issues or whatever you'd want to think of them as, but basically the stem of it is that I'm very lonely and have been now since pretty much the start of secondary school.

But yeah, I hope enjoy this year a lot more than your first.

ReputationRep:
    John55 - its only 5 weeks in - get out there and try, even though it is easier said than done. Otherwise you end up being 35 and still regretting you didn;t make more of something 15 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    if your in london i can automatically fix that for you because im a club promoter at many big nightclub in london (tons of celebs go) and if you bring your mates i can get you guys a table and drinks all for free (no bull****) for more info just whatsapp/text me 07494264029

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain Mary, you had a horrible experience in your first year and now feel you are missing out.

I would ask your bank for an overdraft (if you don't have one.) You are a student, there is no shame whatsoever in doing so. Even though the stereotype (and reality) is many students are skint, you deserve a little happiness.

You have done really well love and give yourself a pat on the back! Many people would have dropped out experiencing what you did in the 1st year. You have stuck at it and you need to congratulate yourself for being strong and getting through this.,

As for the 'uni life is amazing;' crew in your seminars, they will have a big shock in final year once they have to do some actual studying and not get plastered every night!

Good luck and keep us updated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    I feel your pain Mary, you had a horrible experience in your first year and now feel you are missing out.

I would ask your bank for an overdraft (if you don't have one.) You are a student, there is no shame whatsoever in doing so. Even though the stereotype (and reality) is many students are skint, you deserve a little happiness.

You have done really well love and give yourself a pat on the back! Many people would have dropped out experiencing what you did in the 1st year. You have stuck at it and you need to congratulate yourself for being strong and getting through this.,

As for the 'uni life is amazing;' crew in your seminars, they will have a big shock in final year once they have to do some actual studying and not get plastered every night!

Good luck and keep us updated!
    Thank you so much for your comment
    I think my plan is just to get a first so I can prove to myself that it was all worth it...

ReputationRep:
    you think uni life=clubbing?
    son, ive got some news for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    you think uni life=clubbing?
    son, ive got some news for you
    So judgemental. No I don't think that at all and didnt say that at all in my thread. What is the point of sounding bitter?

ReputationRep:
    So judgemental. No I don't think that at all and didnt say that at all in my thread. What is the point of sounding bitter?
    'feel like as I'm missing out on being a 'student' going clubbing, out every night.'

yes, that is exactly what you said

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.