Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much does EPQ actually help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm in Year 13 now and I did an EPQ last year. Of course I got the whole "EPQ can lower uni offers" spiel from my school when they were enticing people into taking it. I get the concept of being more likely to get an offer from having it, since you've shown university-style independence & research skills etc., but the only universities I've seen explicitly mention how they take it into account (as in, changing their offer by a grade based on your EPQ) are Southampton and Leeds.

So, does anybody know which other universities value the EPQ? Or has anyone had experience with their EPQ grade being a 'make or break' in their offer?

EDIT: For the record, I've heard back from 4 unis now and Lancaster University went down from a typical offer of AAA-AAB to ABB for me, and since they asked for evidence of my A* in EPQ, I'm pretty sure that was the cinch for the lower offer! So despite the hell EPQ gave me last year it looks like it is worth it after all.

ReputationRep:
    UEA lowered their offer from AAB to ABB because im doing EPQ

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing EPQ too - regretting it now due to all the extra work! I've heard Sheffield lower offers due to EPQ as well as the others mentioned; I'm doing it solely to boost my UCAS points for some offers as it's equivalent to an AS, plus I talked about it in my PS as I haven't studied the degree subject at A Level, but my EPQ dissertation kinda links to it - hopefully all this extra work will pay off in the end. At least you know walking into the summer exams what grade you've got on it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback! Mine also directly relates to the course I'm applying for, so I'm hoping it will help a little, at the very least.

But yeah, everyone I know regrets doing EPQ (myself included), lol. Hope it ends up worthwhile!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jimjambles)
    Hi all, I'm in Year 13 now and I did an EPQ last year. Of course I got the whole "EPQ can lower uni offers" spiel from my school when they were enticing people into taking it. I get the concept of being more likely to get an offer from having it, since you've shown university-style independence & research skills etc., but the only universities I've seen explicitly mention how they take it into account (as in, changing their offer by a grade based on your EPQ) are Southampton and Leeds.

So, does anybody know which other universities value the EPQ? Or has anyone had experience with their EPQ grade being a 'make or break' in their offer?
    It's difficult to quantify, as there's no set rule. Some unis will like them for some subjects, and others won't care. It also depends what else you have - if you have brilliant grades and a load of excellent work experience they might not care, but if you're more borderline it can help.

Even if it doesn't help directly, it can show willingness to study, and knowledge of the subject. You can talk more passionately in interviews or in your personal statement. It will help to show a subject area that you're interested in, and you can use that to talk about what you gained and why you want to study further.

ReputationRep:
    I did one directly linked to my course and got an offer from Newcastle of a BBB when it should have been an ABB it's really worth it I think anyway

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.