Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

This woman turned down a banking job to be a yoga teacher, AWESOME! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I read this and was inspired!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...each-yoga.html

Now need to decide what my passion in life is and try to get a job in it! Speaking of yoga, i'm going to be joining a local male-orientated yoga class. Been meaning to take it up for quite a few months and I think it will be great!

Nothing but admiration for this girl in the above article. I wish I was as decisive as her! Been bumming around far too long since graduating!

ReputationRep:
    Investment Banking is not exactly an easy or pleasant job :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Good for her for choosing to have a life instead of sitting in front of a computer doing dull **** all day.

ReputationRep:
    She awesome geniused it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally worry about turning hobbies into full time work, for me a lot of the enjoyment I get doing something for myself aren't transferable to teaching or are lost when you are dependent on doing it rather than wanting to. But I do applaud anyone with the courage to be able to turn down a good job opportunity to do something they love, and I hope it works for her.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, good for her, some people may think she's crazy for turning down a well paid job in banking, but I can imagine being a yoga teacher and doing something she enjoys will be a hell of a lot more rewarding and enjoyable than a tedious, soulless banking job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    I personally worry about turning hobbies into full time work, for me a lot of the enjoyment I get doing something for myself aren't transferable to teaching or are lost when you are dependent on doing it rather than wanting to. But I do applaud anyone with the courage to be able to turn down a good job opportunity to do something they love, and I hope it works for her.
    I know what you mean! I had a job offer to work at a climbing wall. Pay was £10ph. I quit before my first shift because I wanted to keep my work and hobby totally separate for fear of losing my love for the sport. But I think I would rather work in some kind of sport/outdoor field than a desk job. Desk jobs are just so ****ing mundane man. If I didn't work 4 days a week I'd probably have killed myself many years ago 9-5 x 5 days a week is way too much! Soul-destroying!

ReputationRep:
    I turned down a 35k job with discount on flights and the whole shebang a few weeks ago because I didn't like the 5 day working week - I decided I was happy working 4 days a week on a lower salary and having the extra day off to chill out! . Today was that day off that I have every week and I went to watch Spectre, then went rock climbing for a few hours at the local climbing gym. At quite a few points throughout the day I kept thinking: god people must be working right now and i'm here, chilling, I love my life! haha!

Oh and because I work in IT I can even work from home! This week I totally took the piss and worked from home 3.5days/4, HAHA!

You only live life once, so enjoy it!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't even like yoga, but I'd still rather be a yoga teacher than an investment banker. At least as a yoga teacher you're likely to have at least some semblance of a life outside of work

ReputationRep:
    It just says 'banking job', it doesn't actually specify her actual position. Maybe I have read it wrong, but she was actually offered a position in a top investment bank as an investment banker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    It just says 'banking job', it doesn't actually specify her actual position. Maybe I have read it wrong, but she was actually offered a position in a top investment bank as an investment banker?
    Investment banking is a banking job... what is your point? (Not being catty, I just really don't understand what you're trying to say)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenciel21)
    Investment banking is a banking job... what is your point? (Not being catty, I just really don't understand what you're trying to say)
    It just said 'banking' job, I just wanted to know if it specified the position she was offered in the firm, nevermind, I was just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I find that sort of thinking strange... surely, even if you come to hate your hobby through your job, you will still not hate it as much as any other job which doesn't involve your hobby.

ReputationRep:
    If she enjoys it then why not? I'm sorry but I feel like this is to call out those in IB and those aspiring...

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

Long yoga mats and tampons short London property.

ReputationRep:
    What's so inspiring? It just means that she'll marry a rich guy rather than work for the money herself.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put up with the stress of being an investment banker for 40k either.. where's my newspaper exclusive?

She's 23, hardly like she's actually given up much at that age. If she gets bored of yoga she can easily move on to something else.

ReputationRep:
    Probably comes from a rich family so doesn't have to worry about money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I wouldn't put up with the stress of being an investment banker for 40k either.. where's my newspaper exclusive?

She's 23, hardly like she's actually given up much at that age. If she gets bored of yoga she can easily move on to something else.
    Exactly lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenciel21)
    I find that sort of thinking strange... surely, even if you come to hate your hobby through your job, you will still not hate it as much as any other job which doesn't involve your hobby.
    Not necessarily, I know a few people who have given up on their dream job to go back to city work because it wasn't for them in the end.

Your job doesn't equal your life, and sure I might enjoy teaching skiing more than working in an office (even if I came to enjoy it less) but it would mean compromising other areas of my life. Money for travelling, location would limit ability to practise other hobbies, proximity to family and friends, ability to support a family.

For me I couldn't make the sacrifices to do something that I hated a bit less than an office job.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.