The Student Room Group

do you ever ignore fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NathanDYEL
If they don't respect their own bodies enough not to get fat then why should we respect them :smile:

it's not that they don't respect their bodies. being obese is having an addiction to food, just like you and i probably have an addiction to the internet, and many people are addicted to drugs. addiction is symptomatic of something deeper, like not having good relationships with people, or being stuck in a job you hate.

stigmatising fat people will only make them feel worse, and hence further rely on food as a temporary source of relief.
If they don't respect their own bodies enough not to get fat then why should we respect them :smile:

That's a nonsensical statement to make, what if someone is overweight but extremely intelligent or has a really intricate understanding of something useful? They might have neglected one aspect of their life, but perfected another.

It makes no sense to demean people who are overweight, but not care at all about people with other bad habits.

Cause aren't we supposed to be bigger than that?
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
That's a nonsensical statement to make, what if someone is overweight but extremely intelligent or has a really intricate understanding of something useful? They might have neglected one aspect of their life, but perfected another.

It makes no sense to demean people who are overweight, but not care at all about people with other bad habits.

Makes me think of 'The Beast' on the chase.
Brilliant chap.
Reply 24
Original post by Straighthate
i had to sit next to some obese chick in class, her breath stank of cheese and onion crisps, i was repulsed by how gross someone could be, needless to say, i didnt respond much when she tried to talk to me

No I never find myself ignoring being because of their body type, I do it because they're unhygienic that's mostly why I don't talk to sweaty men fresh from the gym in lectures.
I personally hate it when people ignore you if no reason , it's incredibly rude.
Original post by hellodave5
Cause aren't we supposed to be bigger than that?

It's just stupid, if someone fails an exam, would he claim that person doesn't respect themselves intellectually? I am genuinely asking this.

Makes me think of 'The Beast' on the chase.Brilliant chap.

According to wiki he has a master's in mathematics from Oxford, nobody is perfect but most people have worth as human beings.
human beings treat other humans according to their 'survival and replication' value. that is, their ability to survive, and their ability to have offspring. older generations are not respected in society, because they are infertile and prone to health problems. similarly, society does not respect fat people because they have a low s & r value.

that's also why we act nicer to good looking people than to ugly people. good looking people are judged to be in better health, so they are deemed more valuable.
Original post by A Limp Handshake
human beings treat other humans according to their 'survival and replication' value. that is, their ability to survive, and their ability to have offspring. older generations are not respected in society, because they are infertile and prone to health problems. similarly, society does not respect fat people because they have a low s & r value.

that's also why we act nicer to good looking people than to ugly people. good looking people are judged to be in better health, so they are deemed more valuable.

Then you're ****ing retarded, it's good to be good looking personally, but if you need a lawyer or an accountant you're going to have to think in a less one dimensional way.
It's just stupid, if someone fails an exam, would he claim that person doesn't respect themselves intellectually? I am genuinely asking this.

According to wiki he has a master's in mathematics from Oxford, nobody is perfect but most people have worth as human beings.

Yeah, it is silly. I have almost failed exams a few times and even if I don't do brilliantly, I still deem myself intelligent. Just one failure doesn't undo other successes, as you say. From the tone of your response I'm not sure if you understood the colloquialism 'we're bigger than that'?

Everyone has inherent worth, and as a human being we are all the same. It is mainly wrong to disdain people for things because people tend not to be how they are through their own choice (I think we make few choices consciously and freely - when we think we do, they sort of are programmed behaviors and responses, or determined by the situation).
Yeah, it is silly. I have almost failed exams a few times and even if I don't do brilliantly, I still deem myself intelligent. Just one failure doesn't undo other successes, as you say. From the tone of your response I'm not sure if you understood the colloquialism 'we're bigger than that'?

Everyone has inherent worth, and as a human being we are all the same. It is mainly wrong to disdain people for things because people tend not to be how they are through their own choice (I think we make few choices consciously and freely - when we think we do, they sort of are programmed behaviors and responses, or determined by the situation).

I do understand what it means and I was agreeing with you.
I do understand what it means and I was agreeing with you.

Sorry ^^
Original post by Straighthate
i had to sit next to some obese chick in class, her breath stank of cheese and onion crisps, i was repulsed by how gross someone could be, needless to say, i didnt respond much when she tried to talk to me

The body mass of someone is not correlated to the smell of their breath.
Reply 33
I wouldn't personally ignore someone out right just because they are fat , has to be something specifically about them. However, I know in society many people ignore others for many reasons some ignore others because of the colour of the skin, some cause of their sex or religion so it's not only you who mistreats people. As a society I'm not sure we have really gone forward just seems that people are better at hiding their prejudices, except for the people who get caught doing something silly online though.
Sorry ^^

It's ok man.

Then you're ****ing retarded, it's good to be good looking personally, but if you need a lawyer or an accountant you're going to have to think in a less one dimensional way.

I would say Handshake is on to some sort of subconscious bias.
But I would have thought that intelligence and willingness to co-operate would be greatly more important than simply 'weight', which unless highly obese, wouldn't be that great a factor.

Also I think 'replication value' sounds a bit unusual. Why would we value people on their ability to reproduce? Wouldn't it rather be, their ability and willingness to help you if you needed it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Some lady on the train accused me of waddling like a pregnant woman (she's saying I'm fat)...she didn't even 'ignore' me but went out of her way to antagonise my weight.

I would have loved her to 'ignore' me then and not share her bigoted opinions with me.

Just leave people alone
Original post by Kallisto
I guess you have your reasons. Even if someone would regard your saying as an offensiveness...who cares?

Would this apply to anorexic people as well?

Yeah i guess so.
it's not that they don't respect their bodies. being obese is having an addiction to food, just like you and i probably have an addiction to the internet, and many people are addicted to drugs. addiction is symptomatic of something deeper, like not having good relationships with people, or being stuck in a job you hate.

stigmatising fat people will only make them feel worse, and hence further rely on food as a temporary source of relief.

Why do I probably have an addiction to the internet.??... and addictions don't necessarily have to be bad, all depends on the level of addiction. I'm addicted to food like many obese people, but I'm also aware that without exercise i will become fat, but i don't because i respect my body.
Why do I probably have an addiction to the internet.??... and addictions don't necessarily have to be bad, all depends on the level of addiction. I'm addicted to food like many obese people, but I'm also aware that without exercise i will become fat, but i don't because i respect my body.

your argument is flawed

Quick Reply

Latest