Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically I have got a part time job at Salisbury's and I have been working there for over two months now. I think I have been doing a good job until today when the manger came up to me and say she will have a chat with me about my progress on Sunday. She said I wasn't in where I should be and that I have been slacking but all I did was to get some water as I was sick at the time. My co- workers have been taking some time off to talk and they didn't get picked on and the manager is basically saying that I am not good enough but I could say I worked really hard. I want to quit the job now as I don't want to get fired on Sunday after the talk, should I hand in the resignation letter before the chat on Sunday? But would it make it seem like it is my fault? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, don't resign. Stand up for yourself and defend yourself.

Consider what they might accuse you of and think about what you will say in return.

Try not to get angry or upset and definitely don't winge. Stick to the facts. Stick to statements like "I disagree because…" and "I don't know why you think that way because…".

If you can manage to do that, you'll probably come through it OK.

Did you tell anybody where you were going when you went to get water? If not they have no idea of why you had left the shop floor and how long you had been gone for.

I doubt they'll sack you at the first offence. You should go to the meeting and discuss it properly rather than running away from it.

ReputationRep:
    don't be a pussy have some respect for yourself and go to the meeting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    No, don't resign. Stand up for yourself and defend yourself.

Consider what they might accuse you of and think about what you will say in return.

Try not to get angry or upset and definitely don't winge. Stick to the facts. Stick to statements like "I disagree because…" and "I don't know why you think that way because…".

If you can manage to do that, you'll probably come through it OK.
    But she came up to me and told me that she will be having a chat with me on Sunday and I think it is very likely that she will fire me. I don't think she likes me very much so I doubt she will listen to me, do I still stand my ground like you suggested? Also, I think I was only off for 5 minutes to get water max so I didn't tell anyone but I guess that was the only time when she checked on me, so what should I do? Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_jg)
    don't be a pussy have some respect for yourself and go to the meeting.
    I am not, I just don't want to be sacked and I think it is worse than handing in a resignation letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Did you tell anybody where you were going when you went to get water? If not they have no idea of why you had left the shop floor and how long you had been gone for.

I doubt they'll sack you at the first offence. You should go to the meeting and discuss it properly rather than running away from it.
    No but I want to quite nevertheless as I feel like I am the only person she picks on. But I will bear that in mind, thank you for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    I am not, I just don't want to be sacked and I think it is worse than handing in a resignation letter.
    If they sack you, offer to resign straight after, but also mention that you will only do so if they agree not to tell the Job Centre that you resigned.

But she came up to me and told me that she will be having a chat with me on Sunday and I think it is very likely that she will fire me. I don't think she likes me very much so I doubt she will listen to me, do I still stand my ground like you suggested? Also, I think I was only off for 5 minutes to get water max so I didn't tell anyone but I guess that was the only time when she checked on me, so what should I do? Thanks so much
    You're making a load of assumptions with no grounds for it.

If you're going to leave the shop floor for any reason you have to tell somebody. This is so that a) they know you aren't skiving and b) in case of emergency they know where to find you. If your boss hasn't seen you for half an hour and you nip upstairs for a quick drink and they see you there, and you've not told anyone where you're going so you have a witness, then you look pretty poor.

If you're going to resign, do it after the meeting. Doing it before will be taken as an admission of guilt, but you've done nothing wrong, and there's just a misunderstanding. If you're going to leave regardless of the outcome, fight your side since you have nothing to lose, and then resign afterwards explaining that you don't like how you've been treated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    If you're going to resign, do it after the meeting. Doing it before will be taken as an admission of guilt, but you've done nothing wrong, and there's just a misunderstanding. If you're going to leave regardless of the outcome, fight your side since you have nothing to lose, and then resign afterwards explaining that you don't like how you've been treated.
    Okay, thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,
    The process for firing an employee is : One or two verbal warnings, followed by a written warning and then finally a dismissal. For gross misconduct you can be fired at the first meeting (I doubt going missing for 5 minutes constitutes this) however, you would be invited to bring a colleague or union rep to this and would have time to prepare. If you're in your proabation period these stages don't apply. An organisation like Sainsburys, I imagine, would take a mentoring approach to employees in their probation period and hopefully this chat is just to give you a kick up the bum! Be positive when you go in there, accept the mistakes you have made and don't make comparisons to other team members.
    You may walk out of the meeting feeling more positive about your job and wanting to stay.
    Fingers crossed you're not asked to leave, best of luck x

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.