Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Volunteering at Prostate Cancer UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have a BSc and MSc from KCL and Imperial, respectively. They are in Molecular Biology and Human Molecular Genetics. I am a late career starter as a year after my MSc I went into medical school but left after two years. I did not pass my OSCE. Sorry if I seem dumb but being a doctor is not for me. I have the brains but lack the practical skills. Plus I was tired after my MSc. Too much studies is not good.

I would like a career in the Charity Sector, Public Sector, NHS Graduate
    Management Scheme or Civil Service Fast Stream (fortunately it is not too late for me to apply despite my MSc graduation year being 2009 - I looked on their websites). I was unwell for three years but I have recovered and have been symptom-free for 11 months. I want to get a nice, reputable part-time admin job then eventually work full-time as my medication is reduced. I would like to apply for the Civil Service Fast Stream and NHS Schemes next year for 2017 entry.

I managed to obtain an admin volunteer position at Prostate Cancer UK as a Corporate Partnerships Team Assistant. I have been offered one day per week. May I ask how long should I volunteer for before applying for a job? Ideally I would like to volunteer for 3 months. Is one day per week too little for experience or is two days better? I was offered one day. Would it look good on my CV?

I would appreciate some advice please as I lack confidence.

All the best

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.