Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Work Experience for a Year 10 Student watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is my first thread but anyways im a year 10 student very much interested in finance and banking and also accounting, in January I am meant to be completing my work experience but am yet to find one in this sector and have been rejected many times.

Does anyone know of companies which deal especially with banking,finance or accountancy that offer work experience for year 10 students or does anyone work in this sector and would be able to help arrange this for me? Or give me contact details in order to do so .

By the way I'm based in London.

Thanks in advance-

ReputationRep:
    try barclays life skills, you can get work experience at one of their banks. but it will need to be done by a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTim96)
    Hey, this is my first thread but anyways im a year 10 student very much interested in finance and banking and also accounting, in January I am meant to be completing my work experience but am yet to find one in this sector and have been rejected many times.

Does anyone know of companies which deal especially with banking,finance or accountancy that offer work experience for year 10 students or does anyone work in this sector and would be able to help arrange this for me? Or give me contact details in order to do so .

By the way I'm based in London.

Thanks in advance-
    well I'm a graphic designer and i did my work experience in a pancake shop so it doesn't really matter if you don't find one haha
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Due to my mum being really good friends with an investment banker, he managed to get me work experience in the Royal Bank of Canada in Bank (the area haha). It's a REALLY difficult process though, he had to convince his boss to let me in despite only the bosses' children and direct family friends being able to have work experience there.

Do your parents know anyone? Or do their friends know of anyone who workings in the financial sector?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    Due to my mum being really good friends with an investment banker, he managed to get me work experience in the Royal Bank of Canada in Bank (the area haha). It's a REALLY difficult process though, he had to convince his boss to let me in despite only the bosses' children and direct family friends being able to have work experience there.

Do your parents know anyone? Or do their friends know of anyone who workings in the financial sector?
    Sadly, I dont have any family or parents of friends who work in the financial sector :/
    Ive tried emailining a lot of them but have been rejected by quite a few :/

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am currenly in year 10 and am about to do my work experience, in future i would love to work as an accountant, but i have no idea of what i can do as my work experience i dont know if working in a shop at the till will be a good idea or a bank or organisation.

Could you please give me some ideas to do as my work expeience.
    Your ideas would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriet5)
    Hello

I am currenly in year 10 and am about to do my work experience, in future i would love to work as an accountant, but i have no idea of what i can do as my work experience i dont know if working in a shop at the till will be a good idea or a bank or organisation.

Could you please give me some ideas to do as my work expeience.
    Your ideas would be helpful.

You should try contacting organisations that appeal to you and see if they can sort something out for you. It is extremely hard to get work experience so don't feel dis-heartened, we have all been there. Also,see if friends and families cans sort something out for even it is not in the field you ideally want to be. The main thing is that you learn something and that you are able to put something on your cv and personal statement if you go to uni. They are more interested in what you learned. Try also the careers advisors. Good luck.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.