Turn on thread page Beta

Does private schooling disadvantage you in jobs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I attend a private school and while I was looking for work experience I found it difficult to apply for work experience at several organisations, as they all wanted me to be more disadvantaged. So I was wondering will this make my time applying for actual real work harder and will employers not want to hire me?

ReputationRep:
    Private schooling and you still don't know the difference between 'higher' and 'hire' :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    people from private schools statistically go on to get better jobs with more pay

I'd imagine that if there are limited work placements then it is right they go to students from disadvantaged areas who need the CV boost more than you but once you have finished your education the key issue will be what you achieved not which high school you went to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    Private schooling and you still don't know the difference between 'higher' and 'hire' :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand the difference, I just did not proof read my post, because it does not really matter if you understand it. Especially on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sami237)
    I attend a private school and while I was looking for work experience I found it difficult to apply for work experience at several organisations, as they all wanted me to be more disadvantaged. So I was wondering will this make my time applying for actual real work harder and will employers not want to higher me?
    Your type of school shouldn't disadvantage you, it's about if you've got what the employer is looking for

ReputationRep:
    I attend a private school and while I was looking for work experience I found it difficult to apply for work experience at several organisations, as they all wanted me to be more disadvantaged. So I was wondering will this make my time applying for actual real work harder and will employers not want to higher me?
    It wouldn't be a disadvantage whatsoever. How exactly did you come to a conclusion that some of those organisations wanted you to be more disadvantaged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    It wouldn't be a disadvantage whatsoever. How exactly did you come to a conclusion that some of those organisations wanted you to be more disadvantaged?
    Well while I was looking for work experience in large law firms, alot of them said in order to apply you needed to be the first in your family to attend university and you need to eligible for free school meals etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well while I was looking for work experience in large law firms, alot of them said in order to apply you needed to be the first in your family to attend university and you need to eligible for free school meals etc.
    What year of schooling are you in? And, which firms did you try to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    It means you've applied to work experience programmes that are only for those who are from a disadvantaged background. Most large firms have this, so you'll have to apply via a different route/programme (e.g. email).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.