Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what other people really think about Islam? How do you think the media portrays Islam? What about individual muslims? What do you think about racism, discrimination? All the wars, the immigration, the starving and the dead? Who do you really think did 9/11 and all the other killings and boomings?
    (P.S I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR ON HERE!!) Just want to know your honest thoughts and opinion guys

ReputationRep:
    Lol too late. Prepare for battle.

ReputationRep:
    It should be disbanded, all religion should be disbanded
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    I honestly don't really care because I don't follow the religion therefore it isn't any of my concern

Many people are in the same boat as I, expect some act like they know everything about the religion (even though they don't follow it!!!) and cause havoc for their own twisted entertainment lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't let the media sway me to be persuaded by the propaganda that is being spread in the news regarding Islam. Because I have a lot of Muslim friends and would never judge them based on what the tabloids have to say.

I only judge someone by their character not their religion.

ReputationRep:
    I always take the viewpoint of if it doesn't affect me, then I have no right to judge someone. The religion of a person doesn't bother me at all (one of my best friend's is Muslim, and she's far more tolerant and open minded than some of my atheist friends, going to show that religion doesn't always dictate morals) as long as they themselves are a good person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waghwan My Don)
    I don't let the media sway me to be persuaded by the propaganda that is being spread in the news regarding Islam. Because I have a lot of Muslim friends and would never judge them based on what the tabloids have to say.

I only judge someone by their character not their religion.
    Very humble answer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think the media portrayal is complete and utter BS. I think that Non-extremist muslims are great, some of my friends are muslims. But I disagree with Extremist/terrorist muslims that use Allah as an excuse to kill people (9/11)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssdizzy12)
    I was wondering what other people really think about Islam? How do you think the media portrays Islam? What about individual muslims? What do you think about racism, discrimination? All the wars, the immigration, the starving and the dead? Who do you really think did 9/11 and all the other killings and boomings?
    (P.S I DON'T WANT TO START A WAR ON HERE!!) Just want to know your honest thoughts and opinion guys
    i think the media portrays Islam either as this horrible brainwashing cult religion that will stop at nothing to take over the world OR as a beautiful historical religion, there is literally no in between with the media.

each muslim is different, it is impossible to sum up a religion with over 1.57 billion believers

i hate the fact that racism is still an issue, we live in a day an age when literally every single race has been integrated with each other, its literally impossible to hate someone of a different race because chances are you have the same blood in you as them, the discrimination against muslims in particular makes me sad, as a white female who follows no religion, even i can see that the obvious discrimination many muslims face daily is just so completely wrong, just like discrimination to any other religion.

the whole 9/11 thing, i have no idea on how to comment on that without a whole TSR war kicking off and i don't want my account banned haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalail)
    I think the media portrayal is complete and utter BS. I think that Non-extremist muslims are great, some of my friends are muslims. But I disagree with Extremist/terrorist muslims that use Allah as an excuse to kill people (9/11)
    So you believe that extremist muslims did do 9/11 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    i think the media portrays Islam either as this horrible brainwashing cult religion that will stop at nothing to take over the world OR as a beautiful historical religion, there is literally no in between with the media.

each muslim is different, it is impossible to sum up a religion with over 1.57 billion believers

i hate the fact that racism is still an issue, we live in a day an age when literally every single race has been integrated with each other, its literally impossible to hate someone of a different race because chances are you have the same blood in you as them, the discrimination against muslims in particular makes me sad, as a white female who follows no religion, even i can see that the obvious discrimination many muslims face daily is just so completely wrong, just like discrimination to any other religion.

the whole 9/11 thing, i have no idea on how to comment on that without a whole TSR war kicking off and i don't want my account banned haha
    Its beautiful how honest your opinions are

ReputationRep:
    I hate the way the left have a strange love and bond with Islam

ReputationRep:

Islam is not a race so you can not be racist to an Islamic individual on the basis of their religion

ReputationRep:
    Winston Churchill said it more perfectly than I could have. I respect them as warriors and as human beings, but I think their religion holds them back socially, morally, and technologically. Not that individual Muslims are bad people, but I don't like the influence of the Islamic faith on the world from a big picture perspective.

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property--either as a child, a wife, or a concubine--must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world.

Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytising faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science--the science against which it had vainly struggled--the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.

ReputationRep:
    Its beautiful how honest your opinions are
    bad beautiful or good beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    ugh it's too late for this y'all :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Islam is not a race so you can not be racist to an Islamic individual on the basis of their religion
    i know islam is not a race...i was answering the OP's question on racism and discrimination..if you read the questions back..

ReputationRep:
    bad beautiful or good beautiful?
    obvs good girlllll

ReputationRep:
    obvs good girlllll
    phew haha i didnt want to start a fight on here!

ReputationRep:
    I was born into a Muslim family but Islam is currently making me unhappy.

I've tried over the years to embrace it but honestly I struggle. In short, I love my Muslim friends, dislike Muslim society and find the political side of Islam unaccepting of anything other than itself, constantly tempestuous and perfect for those who want power.

I equate "Muslim" with "Arabic Satellite". You have to pray towards Saudi 5 times a day, say Arabic phrases, greet people Arabic style, wear Arabic clothing and have nothing but Arab-based beliefs. There is little emphasis on respect to the country and culture you are currently in. All of these point to an underlying political motive in Islam, because although racism is unallowed, it seems you cannot get to heaven without behaving Arab style. This seems unfair to me.

I further feel like Islam isn't good for women. It gives some rights to women, I agree. It also claims men and women are fundamentally different which I agree too. However a woman cannot marry unless her father agrees, a woman cannot work unless there is family consent, and it is not compulsory for women to be educated either (although modern Muslims do push for this). This is the ideal environment for a backward society. I've also noticed that amongst my male friends, the Muslim men seem most condescending towards females. It's as if females are constantly in need of help (we're not) or are some victims - yet ironically we should be grateful for this treatment as we are treated like "flowers" and "diamonds".

But I must emphasise, my Muslim friends are lovely and I'm sure there are more out there. Even though Islam isn't working out well for me, I hope others can find peace in it

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.