Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help get better at swimming? front crawl in particular? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    basically I'm in uni and I've joined the swimming society this year as a fresher and i used to swim back when i was little, however I've never done it professionally so i am not on the team, I'm a 'social swimmer'

i can't seem to get my breathing technique right for front crawl, i ca manage about half a length then i just end up gulping water, i can swim every other stroke perfectly fine, just front crawl? any ideas?

also i used to scuba dive so I've never been a 'fast swimmer' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justmoll28)
    basically I'm in uni and I've joined the swimming society this year as a fresher and i used to swim back when i was little, however I've never done it professionally so i am not on the team, I'm a 'social swimmer'

i can't seem to get my breathing technique right for front crawl, i ca manage about half a length then i just end up gulping water, i can swim every other stroke perfectly fine, just front crawl? any ideas?

also i used to scuba dive so I've never been a 'fast swimmer' ?
    Are you turning your head to the side when you breathe, or looking to the front? I find a lot of people try & lift their head to the front to breathe on front crawl, rather than just turning to the side and having about half/two thirds of your face out of the water.

One way to practise the movement is to do some kicking drills on your side. Push off from the wall and kick on your side with one arm stretched out in front of you, and the other resting along the side of your body. Look down at the pool floor, but when you need to breathe, turn your head to the side and breathe, then return your head to looking downwards. Although the stroke is called 'front crawl', in reality, when you're swimming it correctly, you're actually rotating from side to side rather than lying flat on your front, so this drill will help. When you've mastered it on both sides, you can try a different version: after every 6-8 kicks, do a front crawl stroke and rotate onto your other side; then after another 6-8 strokes, rotate back, and so forth. All the while practise your breathing, and try and time your head roll with your arm stroke, so you get the correct movement.

This video will help explain it, since you can see how it should be done. Breathing is all about body position in freestyle, so I hope this helps!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.