The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You better fetch them in and leave the car then.
Reply 2
Do you mean the engine cuts out when left to idle or are you just telling us your friend is a crap driver?

If its the former, just turn the idle screw half a turn.
Reply 3
Happened when I was in the car with some friends once. He'd just passed his test and we were going out, at some lights, he stalled 3 times. By the time he'd gotten the engine started, the lights were red again.

Also, there was a police car behind us, so I was thinking they'd end up coming over to see if he could actually drive.
OP, clutch and more revs, if rolls more, use handbrake and practice hill starts.

Main thing to remember is to be calm, everyone stalls sometimes, and getting flustered only aggrivates the situation.
Reply 5
I've stalled in the middle of busy traffic lights before, at the height of the home-time rush hour at the centre of a large town, in one of those yellow-squared-don't-ever-stop-in-here traffic lights. Not enough revs as I was bringing the clutch up.

Ohhh the hatred people can inflict with their horns when you hold them up an extra minute.
well always have the handbrake on if you are not sure.
Reply 7
Not stalled in 3.5years of driving. Probably stall when I drive back home tonight now I have said that! :smile:
Reply 8
Stalled for like an entire minute in rush hour on a busy road with like 20 cars lining up behind me...it wasn't even at a traffic lights, it's that bad! Nobody beeped though, which was nice, but the longer you stall the more flustered you get so the longer you stall so the more flustered you get and on and on it goes...it's so frustrating and embarassing!
Reply 9
ICV is probably ****ed

I think I stalled the Corsa 3 times in the 12 months I had it, that included learning, my ZR I must have stalled it 5 times in the last 4 weeks I've had it. The clutch has hardly any play compared to the Corsa. I'm used to it now, but it took some getting used to lol
Reply 10
Hardly, I was used to jumping into over 5-10different cars a week, so I was used to it!
Don't let the clutch up too soon. Hills are really rubbish when you stall; before you know it the lights goes yellow than red, then you're stuck.
Reply 12
LOL, I stalled on the traffic lights in a practical TEST! lol...

I learnt in a diesel car, but literally few days after test, my instructors car was in an accident and was given a courtesy car, (a petrol one) and it was a bloomin Micra, the new bubble shape 1 (sorry to the peoplke who own one... but i HATE micras full sltop) ....

I ended up getting a minor in my test lol.... It was an uphill start and lights turned green, i stalled, by the time i restarted engine and all the safety checks, the lights went red lol... OOPs! :P

Everyone stalls... just need practising....
Reply 13
abc101
Stalled for like an entire minute in rush hour on a busy road with like 20 cars lining up behind me...it wasn't even at a traffic lights, it's that bad! Nobody beeped though, which was nice, but the longer you stall the more flustered you get so the longer you stall so the more flustered you get and on and on it goes...it's so frustrating and embarassing!

Is a total nightmare especially if the road is extremly busy..:s-smilie:
Get the biting point set when you think the lights are about to change, and start edging forwards a tiny bit so that when the lights change you are ready :smile:
Reply 15
Stalling at the Traffic Lights!!...

.... Means you have a really small willy.
I stalled a minute into my test and everything had been going great. But I didn't lose it are anything, I just went, handbrake, neutal, turn key, get going. The lights did go red but I had had 6 cars in front of my before I stalled and those light were ones that let only a few cars through at a time..It wasn't a problem at all.

My reverse park on the other hand....

At least I passed though first time.
Reply 17
Marianne
Stalling at the Traffic Lights!!...

.... Means you have a really small willy.

*laughs out loud* ..is anew one on me..sszzz ..But dont Tell everyone it was me..:p:
Reply 18
Don't panic and slowly ease the clutch to make sure you don't stall again
rev it to the max and away we go

Latest

Trending

Trending