Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Proposal as follows:
    to create a model house of lords, so as to complete the model parliament, rather than strangely only having half of it.
    0. the model house of lords (the 'upper house') will have 18 unelected and 22 elected members. (40 in total.)
    1. each party will be alloted three (3) peerages to fill as they please (the 'unelected members')
    2. twenty two (22) members (the 'elected members') will be elected by the TSR public community by means aftermentioned.
    3. the elected members will serve a term of three months, at which point there will be another election, ad infinitum.
    4. the upper house will not have the power to block legislation, but will instead amend it as the upper house deems fit. the legislation will then be passed,(unless exception is made to the amendment by the person who submitted the legislation, in which case the MHoC may pass the bill after another reading.
    5. the upper house may not amend legislation that affects the workings of MHoC.
    6. the upper house will elect members as follows: a poll will be posted on the 'UK politics thread giving a choice of parties. the spaces will then be allocated to parties according to proportional representation, the parties must hold internal elections to elect members to these places. this poll will last 5 days and be a private closed vote.
    7. a peer may retire whenever his/her party leader gives permission, (or removes for inactivity), the peer may then be replaced with a internal party election.
    8. an internal party election as aforementioned, may not last more than 5 days.
    9. while an election is taking place, the houses may carry on as usual as if nothing was happening. and are free to think of a way to use this to their advantage.
    10. if a peer if found to be a certified lunatic, that peer must join the (defunct) monster raving loony party.
    11. MPs of MHoC may also be peers, and can vote in both houses on the same bills.
    12. the MHoL may or may not have the same speaker as the MHoC.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There have been several bills on this already...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If this is done it should be done properly through legislation - there have been several attempts to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Non- starter with me.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    While I'm in obvious support for a MHoL, I think the election times are too short, a house of 40 is too many and I think MPs should only be lords while it gets off the ground.

I think we have enough members for one, but too many will disagree with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    So that would mean 90+ users of the MHoC? The mhol adds nothing and is a non-starter in my mind.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    So that would mean 90+ users of the MHoC? The mhol adds nothing and is a non-starter in my mind.
    I think it's ridiculous to say that it adds nothing. It will make our legislation better as its under more scrutiny, and will actually reflect parliament!

I think a MHoL of a maximum of 25 members would be fine, but I'd prefer to start at 12 with two Lords each, and seeing how it goes.

I don't see why people rejected my trial run, it would have been interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I think it's ridiculous to say that it adds nothing. It will make our legislation better as its under more scrutiny, and will actually reflect parliament!

I think a MHoL of a maximum of 25 members would be fine, but I'd prefer to start at 12 with two Lords each, and seeing how it goes.

I don't see why people rejected my trial run, it would have been interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It won't though, because people don't even need to be MP's to scrutinise the bill and it won't make legeslation better. Adding more MP's would have the same effect but would be more desireable.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    It won't though, because people don't even need to be MP's to scrutinise the bill and it won't make legeslation better. Adding more MP's would have the same effect but would be more desireable.
    To be honest, I don't think the timings right for a MHoL, especially with the Crisis committee about to finally get off the ground

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    To be honest, I don't think the timings right for a MHoL, especially with the Crisis committee about to finally get off the ground

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it? I thought you don't have a UKIP member...
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is it? I thought you don't have a UKIP member...
    They need to be re-appointed this term. I'm unlikely to sit on the crisis committee, as I'll be trying to solve problem I've helped create.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think there is probably not enough activity at present. It could be revisited in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think there is probably not enough activity at present. It could be revisited in future.
    you guys keep shooting this down due to inactivity, when we have way more than we need to start this up already.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    you guys keep shooting this down due to inactivity, when we have way more than we need to start this up already.
    :erm: what planet are you living on? We only really have 25 active members...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But What would a MHOL Actually Do rather than add another level of unnesscery bureaucracy?

ReputationRep:
    You could have asked us within the party before posting this because you lack information about the previous attempts that were firmly rejected. I don't think it's a good idea to propose vast reforms when one's new somewhere… anywhere. Once again, it's a nay from me. Even this MHoC doesn't work as we'd like it to so there's really no reason to expand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    :erm: what planet are you living on? We only really have 25 active members...
    This is terrible, FYI I live on the moon
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by itsdancross)
    I could be wrong but are you thinking of a US Senate style composition where each party is equally represented by 2 members regardless of MHoC seats?
    Kind of, but we'd move to an elected chamber once it's off the ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Proposal as follows:
    to create a model house of lords, so as to complete the model parliament, rather than strangely only having half of it.
    0. the model house of lords (the 'upper house' will have 18 unelected and 22 elected members. (40 in total.)
    1. each party will be alloted three (3) peerages to fill as they please (the 'unelected members'
    2. twenty two (22) members (the 'elected members' will be elected by the TSR public community by means aftermentioned.
    3. the elected members will serve a term of three months, at which point there will be another election, ad infinitum.
    4. the upper house will not have the power to block legislation, but will instead amend it as the upper house deems fit. the legislation will then be passed,(unless exception is made to the amendment by the person who submitted the legislation, in which case the MHoC may pass the bill after another reading.
    5. the upper house may not amend legislation that affects the workings of MHoC.
    6. the upper house will elect members as follows: a poll will be posted on the 'UK politics thread giving a choice of parties. the spaces will then be allocated to parties according to proportional representation, the parties must hold internal elections to elect members to these places. this poll will last 5 days and be a private closed vote.
    7. a peer may retire whenever his/her party leader gives permission, (or removes for inactivity), the peer may then be replaced with a internal party election.
    8. an internal party election as aforementioned, may not last more than 5 days.
    9. while an election is taking place, the houses may carry on as usual as if nothing was happening. and are free to think of a way to use this to their advantage.
    10. if a peer if found to be a certified lunatic, that peer must join the (defunct) monster raving loony party.
    11. MPs of MHoC may also be peers, and can vote in both houses on the same bills.
    12. the MHoL may or may not have the same speaker as the MHoC.
    Great shove Aph in it straight away, save us all from his claptrap

ReputationRep:
    Not this again. Sorry but why does the MHoC need an MHoL? And given how low turnout was at the GE are you certain that there would actually be non-MHoCers who would vote in MHoL elections? And where are these 40 extra people who are going to serve in the MHoL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.