Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tesco are racists I think watch

ReputationRep:
    I think they are racist because they rejected me from opening a bank account with them. They also failed to provide me with a reason. When I sent them an appeal letter with further information about my income and savings they still rejected me, even though I chose not to take an overdraft.

I even did my own credit check which came back positive!!!

The only reason I can think of for them to reject me is my race. From my name it is obvious i'm not white and now I believe that that is the reason they rejected me. What can I do? Can I complain to the FSA or another body? I want to take this further, not because I actually want their account, but I want the scoundrels to give me a good reason why I can't have the current account and saving account I applied for. Frankly I'm insulted!

ReputationRep:
    Arent you allowed to ask for a formal statement on why your application was rejected? I know that my bank does this when applying for xredits

ReputationRep:
    Send them a box with a smelly surprise inside with a note with your phone number on it and tell them if they don't call you and give the reason, you will keep sending them surprises until they do :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally)
    Arent you allowed to ask for a formal statement on why your application was rejected? I know that my bank does this when applying for xredits
    Their formal statement/letter said I "failed to meet the criteria to open the account", or something generic like this. When I pressed for more information, they said they didn't have anything specific! I frankly don't understand their decision. I've opened accounts with first direct and lloyds and both were chucking themselves at me - opened both no probs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Their formal statement/letter said I "failed to meet the criteria to open the account", or something generic like this. When I pressed for more information, they said they didn't have anything specific! I frankly don't understand their decision. I've opened accounts with first direct and lloyds and both were chucking themselves at me - opened both no probs.
    if you haven't had a clubcard for at least 3-9 months prior they are unlikely to accept you unless you switch from another bank.
    note if you have a clubcard they will know if you shop with them regularly, and if you don't you wont get accept either.
    if your name sounds like/is similar to known terrorists they will also reject you for no obvious reason.
    I am assuming you earn over £1000 a month and fit all the other criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    if you haven't had a clubcard for at least 3-9 months prior they are unlikely to accept you unless you switch from another bank.
    note if you have a clubcard they will know if you shop with them regularly, and if you don't you wont get accept either.
    if your name sounds like/is similar to known terrorists they will also reject you for no obvious reason.
    I am assuming you earn over £1000 a month and fit all the other criteria.
    well if they rejected me because I don't give a crap about club card points, they should really have said so :rolleyes: And yes I earn over £1k a month. They don't have a good enough reason to be honest. The only thing I can think of other than my foreign name is the fact that I have multiple current accounts. Surely they can't reject me because I have other current accounts? :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    well if they rejected me because I don't give a crap about club card points, they should really have said so :rolleyes: And yes I earn over £1k a month. They don't have a good enough reason to be honest. The only thing I can think of other than my foreign name is the fact that I have multiple current accounts. Surely they can't reject me because I have other current accounts? :eek4:
    yes having multiple accounts is worse than you might think, they wont give you an account unless its your only one (or maybe your second). (because you wont use it as much)
    basically they want people who will use their tesco account a lot because they have to, and shop at tesco.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.