Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quick question.

I've recently turned 18 and attend a sixth form with a strict attendance policy. These rules state you must be in by 8:30am every morning and cannot go home until minimum 14:30pm even if you have frees during the day, with the exception of being able to leave during lunch as long as you come back. I beleive these changes were put in place as ofsted told the school they didnt know where there students were and had to keep better track of them.As i'm now a legal adult can my sixth form legally restrict me from leaving when I please without a valid reason apart from me wanting to simply go?

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're attending the school then no its not illegal. You are their responsibility. Also, its not really a good idea to leave anyway, for example if there is a fire, they may think you are still inside and this will cause an unnecessary disturbance and people may risk their well-being.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Dont like it dont go to the 6th form.

Mine was worse. We werent even allowed to leave for break. We had to come in every day even when we had no lessons and leave the same time as the year 7s.
    Now that i think about it i remember being told a change in the government funding being based on the stident sttendance, so that maybe why.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks guys! Was just wondering how it all worked

ReputationRep:
    College is more chilled. I think sixth forms have got stricter by the sounds of it.

Being able to go home in my frees was vital in sixth form (ten years ago now) because I needed the quiet and space to work on a massive food technology portfolio and I felt miserable and self conscious in the common room.

ReputationRep:
    Its the same with my sixth form now (except the yr13s who are achieving their target grade and above are given a pass to leave before 3pm).

This is a good rule in the sense that it makes most students more productive during their frees (e.g. in my school all the lazy students are heavily pushed and monitored, in which is actually improving their grades). However this bad for other students like me, who prefers studying at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty123A)
    As long as you're attending the school then no its not illegal. You are their responsibility. Also, its not really a good idea to leave anyway, for example if there is a fire, they may think you are still inside and this will cause an unnecessary disturbance and people may risk their well-being.
    If only fire had never been invented, eh?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Consider it as a contract. By enrolling to the sixth form you have agreed to the contract which includes those terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Its the same with my sixth form now (except the yr13s who are achieving their target grade and above are given a pass to leave before 3pm).

This is a good rule in the sense that it makes most students more productive during their frees (e.g. in my school all the lazy students are heavily pushed and monitored, in which is actually improving their grades). However this bad for other students like me, who prefers studying at home.
    As an A-Level teacher, I love that idea. That would work SO well at my college :lol: . I would have hated it as a student though. I went home all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Lol we arent even allowed to eat outside , AFTER school . Idgaf tho , if i'm hungry , i'm eating ^^

I know OP it's terrible, I have frees 5/6 lessons the coming Wednesday and I can't go home. Plus the last lesson I do have is last lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jed.sol)
    Quick question.

I've recently turned 18 and attend a sixth form with a strict attendance policy. These rules state you must be in by 8:30am every morning and cannot go home until minimum 14:30pm even if you have frees during the day, with the exception of being able to leave during lunch as long as you come back. I beleive these changes were put in place as ofsted told the school they didnt know where there students were and had to keep better track of them.As i'm now a legal adult can my sixth form legally restrict me from leaving when I please without a valid reason apart from me wanting to simply go?

Thanks guys!
    Wow, that's pretty strict. At college you can come and go as you please. Does anyone actually check if you're there though? You could go without telling them.

(Original post by qwerty123A)
    What if you're ill or don't have any lessons that day? They wouldn't know if you're in the building or not so wouldn't risk someone's life searching through the entire school as it's burning to the ground on the slim chance you're inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    What if you're ill or don't have any lessons that day? They wouldn't know if you're in the building or not so wouldn't risk someone's life searching through the entire school as it's burning to the ground on the slim chance you're inside.
    If you go to school and leave mid-day without telling anyone, then you will be seen as marked-in (As you have to register when you come to school each morning, atleast that how it is at my sixthform) so if there was a fire they'll think you're inside. However if you're ill you have to call the school and tell them you wont be attending so they dont mark you in (you dont have to call them but its best to, even if you dont call you won be marked-in anyway) therefore they know you're not at school so wont go looking for you. I dont know if that made sense but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    As an A-Level teacher, I love that idea. That would work SO well at my college :lol: . I would have hated it as a student though. I went home all the time.
    The only thing I love about it is seeing my lazy classmates use their time effectively.

Other than that its torture, as some days I only have one lesson but have to stay for the whole day =_=

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.