Turn on thread page Beta

James and Heskey : They're only human. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can't just let one player take the blame. James played extremely well for the whole game and he had no chance of saving a pen from Zidane, and he had commited himself when he brought Henry down.

Henry did nothing, Zidane did nothing apart from 5 minutes at the end. They didn't deserve it, didn't look like they wanted it. A very lacklustre performance from the supposed best team in the world. We could have won, we'll win the next 2 games..we'll be through and if we play them again I hope we slaughter them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    Can't just let one player take the blame. James played extremely well for the whole game and he had no chance of saving a pen from Zidane, and he had commited himself when he brought Henry down.

Henry did nothing, Zidane did nothing apart from 5 minutes at the end. They didn't deserve it, didn't look like they wanted it. A very lacklustre performance from the supposed best team in the world. We could have won, we'll win the next 2 games..we'll be through and if we play them again I hope we slaughter them :mad:
    I agree...as a team..England deserved to win the match...it's just unfortunate that a coupla mistakes cost them the match, despite all of france's possession and 'attacking'...they had very few opportunities to score, whereas England managed to craft quite a few good chances.

Never mind....such is life

G

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing more ridiculous than blaming James. Henry was right next to the goal - if he hadn't tackled, Henry would have scored anyway, so he had to make a split-second decision on whether to risk it. I think he made the right choice, and he's risked his own reputation for the chance of a draw.

The whole team defended excellently right until the last minute - it's the fault of the team as a whole that they let down their guard and let Henry through. I'd be more inclined to blame Gerrard if I was going to blame any one player. And leave Beckham alone - he was unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    I agree- Gerrard passed Henry the bloody ball!

ReputationRep:
    The whole team defended brilliantly, true. But how much pressure were they put under? Defending was good, but france kept winning the ball time and time again. England blocked an attack, cleared it, France intercepted, and thsi happened again and again. Perhaps England's brilliant defence came at the price of having to also use their midfield for that purpose too, so the ball never left their half. Say what you want about Heskey, but the reason he was put on there was so he could hold on to the ball. If I remember correctly, he hardly ever got it. England were tired, and once they got in the French attack cycle, it just became an endurance test with that line up. The French strikers and midfield are far too good to let the ball get away from them. The French defence, bar Rooney's excellent attack, weren't ever pushed in the slightest in that second half.
    I doubt this was down to a lack of skill, or even tactics. Engladn are certainlycapable of defeating france.Can anyone remember the Argentina game in 2002? Much the same situation, but it was restricted to just the last 15 odd minutes.

ReputationRep:
    lol!Who said football causes anti-social behaviour?? There's no more blatant swearing in this thread than in any other!!!

ReputationRep:
    james isnt to blame, he was in a loose, loose situation, if he hadnt of gone for the ball (and the player!) they would of deffinatley scored, but after going for the ball he caused a penalty which they were likely to score anyway. what else could he of done?!
    he was, though, very lucky not to have been sent off!
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spider)
    Well noone seems to have considered the fact that france made about THIRTY FIVE attacks, before stoppage time had begun, and when they promtly scored two goals. There's a lot more amiss than single mistakes by a select few players ( James and Heskey, and maybe even Gerrard) Beckham's penalty was flawless, Barthez was as agile as a chimp, bad luck to becks.
    beckham always hits his penalties either straight down the middle of top left. the shot was also at an easy saving height for barthez

and the people who say england should have won blah blah obviously didnt watch the entire second half and majority of the first half in which france virtually controlled the game.

england made the mistake of dropping back to early instead of playing their natural game and pursuing a second goal

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.