Turn on thread page Beta

Year Abroad LDR help watch

Announcements

I'm currently applying to university, the course offers a compulsary year abroad. I'm a bit worried because going away for a year would mean leaving my boyfriend back in the UK. I know I have to go but does anyone have any advice on how to get through it? Has anyone had a year abroad when they're in a relationship, what do they do to make it okay? I don't want to lose him because of the distance and time zones.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep talking to each other regularly, and facetiming/skyping whenever possible. If you're both committed to making it work, it will work

EDIT: I'm currently in an LDR whilst he travels around New Zealand, and I will be again, as soon I go on my year abroad. So I know how difficult it is, but when you love each other anything is possible

ReputationRep:
    Like georgiaswift - just keep talking to each other and skyping whenever you can.

A year abroad is one of the easier kinds of LDR because it has a clearly defined end point: you know exactly when you'll be able to see each other again. It's much worse when it drags on and on and you don't know if you'll ever be together.

Will you be able to come home and visit for long weekends/holidays? Will he be able to visit you? Or will it have to be a whole year without seeing each other?

(Original post by Plumstone)
    Like georgiaswift - just keep talking to each other and skyping whenever you can.

A year abroad is one of the easier kinds of LDR because it has a clearly defined end point: you know exactly when you'll be able to see each other again. It's much worse when it drags on and on and you don't know if you'll ever be together.

Will you be able to come home and visit for long weekends/holidays? Will he be able to visit you? Or will it have to be a whole year without seeing each other?
    Thank you both of you it means a lot

I may be able to come home at winter break. The problem is it's in outside of Europe in a completely different culture so different timed and everything. It will be a few months without seeing eachother at a time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you both of you it means a lot

I may be able to come home at winter break. The problem is it's in outside of Europe in a completely different culture so different timed and everything. It will be a few months without seeing eachother at a time
    Time differences make things a bit more awkward, but you can text/email each other and you'll develop a routine where you can still speak to each other, even if it means once a week one of you has to stay up late or wake up early.

If you really love each other and want to make it work, then you can

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.