Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am ok with the Part A side of the questions and i know the sequence is 2 (2)^t or (2)^t+1

What i am strugling with is the Part B side as i dont know how to extend this model using Algebra. Do you guys know how to tackle the part B of the question and any ideas on what models i can use?Name:  sequence screenshot.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  227.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jyashi)
    I am ok with the Part A side of the questions and i know the sequence is 2 (2)^t or (2)^t+1

What i am strugling with is the Part B side as i dont know how to extend this model using Algebra. Do you guys know how to tackle the part B of the question and any ideas on what models i can use?Name:  sequence screenshot.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  227.2 KB
    This is quite an open-ended question; here are a few suggestions:

(a) What do you think a reasonable relationship between number of bacteria and area covered by the bacteria could be? Keep it simple!

(b) You've got a replication rate that doubles every time period. In other words, N_{t+1} = 2 \times N_{t} where N_{t} is the number at time t, with N_{0} = 2. What happens if you replace that 2 by something else?

(c) Same setup as part (b), but what if N_{0} is something different?

(d) This is the really interesting bit! Instead of N_{t+1} = 2 \times N_{t}, you've got to think of equations that include a term that reduces the rate of growth. Think how build up of waste products may be related to population size and how this may affect the growth rate of the current population. What would be a reasonable equation to summarize your findings?

Part (d) is very open-ended. If you want some inspiration, take a look at the Wikipedia article for "Population Dynamics", especially the bit about discrete time logistical models.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    This is quite an open-ended question; here are a few suggestions:

(a) What do you think a reasonable relationship between number of bacteria and area covered by the bacteria could be? Keep it simple!

(b) You've got a replication rate that doubles every time period. In other words, N_{t+1} = 2 \times N_{t} where N_{t} is the number at time t, with N_{0} = 2. What happens if you replace that 2 by something else?

(c) Same setup as part (b), but what if N_{0} is something different?

(d) This is the really interesting bit! Instead of N_{t+1} = 2 \times N_{t}, you've got to think of equations that include a term that reduces the rate of growth. Think how build up of waste products may be related to population size and how this may affect the growth rate of the current population. What would be a reasonable equation to summarize your findings?

Part (d) is very open-ended. If you want some inspiration, take a look at the Wikipedia article for "Population Dynamics", especially the bit about discrete time logistical models.
    Wow thanks a lot that suddenly made a lot of sense to me and also thank you for the link. I'll try to come up with different models and post back here to get feedback about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.