Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Science GCSE if doing Access? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am going to apply for Child nursing at uni in 2016 and I'm doing an access course, plus maths and english GCSE. My course has Biology, Anatomy and Physiology at Level 3, but was wondering if I should try and get science at GCSE as well. One of my tutors mentioned that the unis will still favour someone with science GCSE even though access is A level. My college is doing biology and chemistry fast track gcse courses, but not general science GCSE. What do you think? Is it worth getting a bio or chem GCSE, or just too much work? Any thoughts appreciated x

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an access course and applying for children's nursing too!! I know a few people on my course are taking the science GCSE alongside the course so it's definitely possible, you have just got to decide whether you think you will manage. Also look at the universities you want to apply to and see if they want GCSE science - only one of the universities I'm applying to says I need it. Possibly email or ring them up? I did igcse biology last year to get a better grade because I got a D in science and got a C this time. It is something good to have to improve your application but like I said if they only want maths and English at GCSE and you are doing a science based course now then they probably won't care about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thanks. Thats what i'm thinking tbh. Just want to give myself as good a chance as possible, but actually none of the unis i'm applying to say they want science at GCSE xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.