Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or do people from target unis for IB's dont do off cycle internships? Personally I have never seen someone from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE do off cycle internships. Went on LinkedIn and haven't found anyone who has done one from these unis either...

I am from one of these unis and planning to apply to an off cycle, if anyone can shed more light on this it would be greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AsianPersuasian)
    Is it just me or do people from target unis for IB's dont do off cycle internships? Personally I have never seen someone from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE do off cycle internships. Went on LinkedIn and haven't found anyone who has done one from these unis either...

I am from one of these unis and planning to apply to an off cycle, if anyone can shed more light on this it would be greatly appreciated!
    Most off-cyclers are europeans. Due to the way their education system is laid out, there is more scope to do a placement at an awkward time during the year and it is usually encouraged to seek out these kinds of placements too.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from figuring out a way to let your uni take some time off during the year to pursue one, it's just quite difficult is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Most off-cyclers are europeans. Due to the way their education system is laid out, there is more scope to do a placement at an awkward time during the year and it is usually encouraged to seek out these kinds of placements too.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from figuring out a way to let your uni take some time off during the year to pursue one, it's just quite difficult is all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My uni allows students to do a placement and temporarily postpone studies until after the placement. I am just curious as to why there aern't more target uni students who have done this yet...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My uni allows students to do a placement and temporarily postpone studies until after the placement. I am just curious as to why there aern't more target uni students who have done this yet...
    A lot of unis don't allow that, plus you'd be elongating the time it takes to graduate. It's a lot of hassle for most people when the: Spring Week --> Summer --> Grad pipeline is sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    A lot of unis don't allow that, plus you'd be elongating the time it takes to graduate. It's a lot of hassle for most people when the: Spring Week --> Summer --> Grad pipeline is sufficient.
    I see! Are you from a target uni yourself? Have you had any experience or know people applying for off cycle internships?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see! Are you from a target uni yourself? Have you had any experience or know people applying for off cycle internships?
    Have an offer to one, yeah. Also have some deferred spring weeks (as I'm on a gap year) starting in 2017.

Nope. I imagine it's the same procedure as a normal internship (tests, Assessment Centres, interviews etc) but that there are fewer spots available.

ReputationRep:
    why would you want to do a placement year if you don't need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    why would you want to do a placement year if you don't need to.
    If the person does not get an internship they want during the summer or an internship at all

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty who did one or more. Tend to be after they Graduate though. Though I find that they usually come from London unis rather than Oxbridge.
    And yeah, as others said before, they're more frequently taken up by continentals (usually target )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    I know plenty who did one or more. Tend to be after they Graduate though. Though I find that they usually come from London unis rather than Oxbridge.
    And yeah, as others said before, they're more frequently taken up by continentals (usually target )
    Do you mean they do off cycles after they graduate? I thought off cycles were for people in the midst of their degrees who want to take time off to work

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean they do off cycles after they graduate? I thought off cycles were for people in the midst of their degrees who want to take time off to work
    Yes. Off cycle is pretty much any Internship that isn't your standard summer internship thing.
    For off cycles in the midst of the degree, those are usually sandwich placements. In the UK it's mainly non target unis that offer this as an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    Yes. Off cycle is pretty much any Internship that isn't your standard summer internship thing.
    For off cycles in the midst of the degree, those are usually sandwich placements. In the UK it's mainly non target unis that offer this as an option.
    So if someone from a target uni applies, will this increase their chances?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.