Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best courses to take if you want to study Law at Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently applying for my A-Levels, and I'm hoping to go on to a degree in Law, what A-Level courses do you think I should take? I'm currently thinking of English Lit, History, Law and Politics, but I need some opinions on if those are the right ones or others you'd recommend, thank you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Don't take A level Law. Your other courses sound fine. You need to take essay based subjects, such as History and English.

ReputationRep:
    They all sound good! I am doing a philosophy A level and apparently that is helpful if you want to study law. It prepares you for analysing legal language and putting together a coherent logical argument.

EDIT: I also take English lit and history (got an A in all 3 at AS last year) so if you have any questions about them I can help you out.

Oh and according to Cambridge, these 3 subjects are all among the most facilitating ones for arts courses. Law comes under "more limited suitability" unless you're applying for a Law degree which you would be so that's fine too. I can't see Politics anywhere on their list (maybe I missed it?) but I'd say it is generally well regarded.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that English lit and History in particular would be a great asset to a law application. Basically, for most university courses, prioritise 'traditional' subjects like that rather than the others, as they're seen as more rigorous. Politics is well seen as well, however, and Law is a good fourth option, although it's perhaps not as well-regarded as the other three. History and English are both 'facilitating subjects, and if you want Trinity College Cambridge's (slightly snooty) view of what is 'acceptable', that can be found here, although you probably don't need to pay too much heed to them. If you were to change anything there, though, perhaps consider swapping Law out for, say, Maths, a science or a language.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's a very very good list. I take A-level Law and I'd say it's perfectly fine to take it, if it anything it gives you good background. It only reinforced my want to study law, you might end up hating it, who knows?? Also, 2-3 facilitating subjects are great. Hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy4)
    I'm currently applying for my A-Levels, and I'm hoping to go on to a degree in Law, what A-Level courses do you think I should take? I'm currently thinking of English Lit, History, Law and Politics, but I need some opinions on if those are the right ones or others you'd recommend, thank you
    Hi OP,

If you gave me the straight question of what A-levels to take, I always say do an essay subject, a language, a science (maths especially) and a fourth (if you intend to do a fourth) in any of the previous three categories, possibly emphasising the essay content. That is, however, only my personal feeling about the best combination. You can pick essentially anything traditional and do perfectly well, so I wouldn't doubt the suitability of your present line up. As others have suggested, you might want to give a second thought to A-level law, but otherwise it sounds like a good combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsy4)
    A really good combination - you'll find a lot of crossover between Law, Politics and History which will make revision easier!

English Lit and History are probably the most beneficial. Some universities (namely LSE) dislike Law A-level but this won't hinder your chances of getting in. Law is also a good way to see if you actually enjoy the subject enough to study it at uni, since you can be a lawyer with any degree so must have an academic interest in Law.

A language could be good, but I think your choices are pretty sound

ReputationRep:
    Take what you please but at least 2/4 essay based. I took Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy & English lit which were all essay based and i'm at King's College now so its not the be all... You just need really good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tolaaa)
    Take what you please but at least 2/4 essay based. I took Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy & English lit which were all essay based and i'm at King's College now so its not the be all... You just need really good grades
    Hi can I ask out of all of your subjects which was the easiest, the most difficult and the most interesting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    Hi can I ask out of all of your subjects which was the easiest, the most difficult and the most interesting?
    Sociology was the easiest in my opinion but quite a few people thought it was hard. The most difficult were both Philosophy & English Lit, they're quite similar in terms of reading and writing and the most interesting would be Sociology & Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    My answer to this question is always Maths, English Lit and History. Just a personal opinion .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben4)
    My answer to this question is always Maths, English Lit and History. Just a personal opinion .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These are courses taken by most students who want to study Law. You should try to do these 3 or do at least 2 of them and choose other course you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.