The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth: Chances of gaining a place in clearing

Anyone is their 1st year at Aberystwyth: Did you apply through clearing (to then successfully gain a place) and by how much did you miss you required grades?

I have a conditional offer for 2016 entry of BBC (which I know is possible to achieve) but I'm stressing out that I might miss these and not gain a place through clearing! :-(
Original post by roosters4sale
Anyone is their 1st year at Aberystwyth: Did you apply through clearing (to then successfully gain a place) and by how much did you miss you required grades?

I have a conditional offer for 2016 entry of BBC (which I know is possible to achieve) but I'm stressing out that I might miss these and not gain a place through clearing! :-(

Hi :smile: I know quite a few people who missed their grades and still got in without clearing, but Aber opens up a lot of spaces in clearing so you should be fine! I would recommend that you sit the scholarship exams though, because it's only two papers and you can get an unconditional and some money out of it. I did them last year and my unconditional meant it didn't matter when my A levels didn't go as well as expected :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by ohlookitschloe
Hi :smile: I know quite a few people who missed their grades and still got in without clearing, but Aber opens up a lot of spaces in clearing so you should be fine! I would recommend that you sit the scholarship exams though, because it's only two papers and you can get an unconditional and some money out of it. I did them last year and my unconditional meant it didn't matter when my A levels didn't go as well as expected :smile:

Thank you for the advice! :smile:

Did you get an unconditional offer simply because you did well in scholarship exam? Also how many people, roughly, are given an unconditional offer due to scholarship exam results?
Yeah, I got an unconditional and a merit award for the results :smile: Everyone I know who sat them got at least an unconditional, so it's worth your while.
Reply 4
Original post by ohlookitschloe

Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered, is money from these scholarships taken into consideration when applying for a grant? I mean would I get a lower amount of money with a grant due to having money from the scholarship?
Also, I just sent off my application today, is it too late to apply for scholarship - can I still apply for scholarship even if I get an offer? Sorry for all the questions but had a look online and it's not very clear.
Original post by HzlC
Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered, is money from these scholarships taken into consideration when applying for a grant? I mean would I get a lower amount of money with a grant due to having money from the scholarship?
Also, I just sent off my application today, is it too late to apply for scholarship - can I still apply for scholarship even if I get an offer? Sorry for all the questions but had a look online and it's not very clear.

The scholarship exam money has no effect on the money from student finance, as far as I am aware. And from what I remember last year, you had to have the form to sit the exams in by late January - so you should still have plenty of time :smile:
Reply 6
I got in through clearing, due to applying (a day) late because I kind of decided to go on a bit of an impulsive decision learning that I could afford to go <3 welsh learning grants!
I had the required grades and got in without any issue, although I had to chase up as they lost my application!

The scholarship/bursary has no impact on your student finance, I get the Aber Bursary being from a low income household, you don't need to apply for this and I got a lovely letter saying I would be getting an extra £1000 spread over the three semesters and for each year I remain within low income bracket. I may have cried.

Quick Reply

Latest