Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone is their 1st year at Aberystwyth: Did you apply through clearing (to then successfully gain a place) and by how much did you miss you required grades?

I have a conditional offer for 2016 entry of BBC (which I know is possible to achieve) but I'm stressing out that I might miss these and not gain a place through clearing! :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosters4sale)
    Anyone is their 1st year at Aberystwyth: Did you apply through clearing (to then successfully gain a place) and by how much did you miss you required grades?

I have a conditional offer for 2016 entry of BBC (which I know is possible to achieve) but I'm stressing out that I might miss these and not gain a place through clearing! :-(
    Hi I know quite a few people who missed their grades and still got in without clearing, but Aber opens up a lot of spaces in clearing so you should be fine! I would recommend that you sit the scholarship exams though, because it's only two papers and you can get an unconditional and some money out of it. I did them last year and my unconditional meant it didn't matter when my A levels didn't go as well as expected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohlookitschloe)
    Hi I know quite a few people who missed their grades and still got in without clearing, but Aber opens up a lot of spaces in clearing so you should be fine! I would recommend that you sit the scholarship exams though, because it's only two papers and you can get an unconditional and some money out of it. I did them last year and my unconditional meant it didn't matter when my A levels didn't go as well as expected
    Thank you for the advice!

Did you get an unconditional offer simply because you did well in scholarship exam? Also how many people, roughly, are given an unconditional offer due to scholarship exam results?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got an unconditional and a merit award for the results Everyone I know who sat them got at least an unconditional, so it's worth your while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohlookitschloe)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered, is money from these scholarships taken into consideration when applying for a grant? I mean would I get a lower amount of money with a grant due to having money from the scholarship?
    Also, I just sent off my application today, is it too late to apply for scholarship - can I still apply for scholarship even if I get an offer? Sorry for all the questions but had a look online and it's not very clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HzlC)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but just wondered, is money from these scholarships taken into consideration when applying for a grant? I mean would I get a lower amount of money with a grant due to having money from the scholarship?
    Also, I just sent off my application today, is it too late to apply for scholarship - can I still apply for scholarship even if I get an offer? Sorry for all the questions but had a look online and it's not very clear.
    The scholarship exam money has no effect on the money from student finance, as far as I am aware. And from what I remember last year, you had to have the form to sit the exams in by late January - so you should still have plenty of time

ReputationRep:
    I got in through clearing, due to applying (a day) late because I kind of decided to go on a bit of an impulsive decision learning that I could afford to go <3 welsh learning grants!
    I had the required grades and got in without any issue, although I had to chase up as they lost my application!

The scholarship/bursary has no impact on your student finance, I get the Aber Bursary being from a low income household, you don't need to apply for this and I got a lovely letter saying I would be getting an extra £1000 spread over the three semesters and for each year I remain within low income bracket. I may have cried.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.