Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

France or Ireland - Medical School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I am a French citizen holding a bachelor degree. I am planning on submitting my applications to french and irish medical schools.

If I have any choice, I really wonder what would be the best option. Here are my thoughts:

- Being a EU citizen, residency won't be a problem in Ireland. Going back to France for residency could be a challenge since there is a national exam in the final year to determine one's medical speciality.

- Being a graduate student, I am mainly focusing on the GEP which is a 4 year program compared to the 6 years medical programs in France. (I am 25 years old).

- Studying in Ireland could be a an amazing experience, I have never studied abroad and it could be my only shot living in a different country (before a really long time anyway if I stayed in France).

- I would have to pass the Gamsat (as a non-native English speaker!) but If I am accepted in Ireland, it would be a done deal when in France, I would still have the first year "concours" (a competition which results on an average of 15% students who can pursue a medical education).

- And really, the biggest issue is money...

If I'd stayed in France, I could focused on studying and could maybe earn money somehow during the first years but mostly be out of debt in the end.

If I go to Ireland I will have to get a loan of almost 100000 euros ( a lot, I am not used to that, in France universities are generally cheap and even if you go to a Grande Ecole - for those of you who know them- you would never have to get a loan as important).

I can really see advantages and inconvenience in both options. An externe point of view will definitely be helpful!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    why don't you want to apply to UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper Phoenix)
    why don't you want to apply to UK?
    I have just recently been considering studying abroad as an option and I missed the deadline for the 2016 entry. But those issues for Ireland would be the same for the Uk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.