The Student Room Group

So apparently kicking someone's seat in a lecture to shut them up is childish

Is it? I mean holy **** sHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Basically, I told these two girls in front of me to quieten down because I'm trying to make use of the £9000 that I have to fork out for University and they really wouldn't- So, I did the most logical thing at the time which was to kick the pole that connected their seats together really hard and they jumped and turned around to look at me with really offended faces and-

Okay. I'd be lying if I said that my face was straight as I apologised n i c e l y BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT it wasn't because their faces were hilarious and it served them right I mean they don't talk very much anymore when I'm sitting near them with my group of friends.

But idk guys a lot of people have given me mixed opinions about what I did; some have said that they deserved it, others have said that it was too childish for university, seeing as I had just started this September and was supposed to be mature by now.

Opinions?

Also, how do you deal with noisy people in your lectures? I'd love to try those methods out sometimes.

Oh yeah and I'm generally a chill person and I don't really go around kicking people's chairs /for those that may tell me to take a calmer approach in life

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I did tell them to pipe down a couple of times and even told them to shut up so yeah I didn't just randomly kick their chairs HAHAHAHAHAHAH
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hell yeah they deserve it, like why the **** are you here if you're gonna just have a conversation GTFO uni ain't for you!

I salute you haha i would've been too scared to do anything and just sat there trying to make out what the lecturer is saying

i'd be so pissed though, bitches wasting my £9000 -_-
How rude of you. Definitely too childish for university.

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating to have people yapping away in lectures, but I'm sorry but kicking their chairs is a ridiculous reaction, to the point where it's embarrassing.

What uni do you go at?
Well what else could you have done? Unless you could have move seats then I think it serves them right.
Reply 4
Incredibly childish, yes.

You first ask them politely and quietly, to stop talking. If they persist, a loud request for them to "shut up" will usually get a round of applause from others who weren't brave enough to do anything.

But yes, kicking the chair is passive-aggressive childishness. You're not a bored toddler. Don't behave like one.
If you told them to stop and they carried on, they deserved it.
I'd have cut off their hair if they did not stop talking after I told them to pipe down.

You're okay.
I think it is very childish, actually speaking to them would have been the way to go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Twinpeaks
How rude of you. Definitely too childish for university.

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating to have people yapping away in lectures, but I'm sorry but kicking their chairs is a ridiculous reaction, to the point where it's embarrassing.

What uni do you go at?

I'd like to say that I do enough embarrassing things to be almost immune to them; I didn't feel embarrassed at all.... more like victorious like HA I MADE YOU STOP TALKING

But thank you for your opinion anyhow :biggrin:

Although, I'm not sure if I should tell you my university to you just yet, in case you stomp up to me and whack me for being immature :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Incredibly childish, yes.

You first ask them politely and quietly, to stop talking. If they persist, a loud request for them to "shut up" will usually get a round of applause from others who weren't brave enough to do anything.

But yes, kicking the chair is passive-aggressive childishness. You're not a bored toddler. Don't behave like one.

Actually, I did tell them to shut up quite loudly as well. I'm sure it wasn't me being passive aggressive, but aggressive in general LOL. Hey ho if it made them stop talking then it was a successful tactic :biggrin: Maybe I should embrace my inner raging toddler
Reply 10
Original post by dean01234
I think it is a very childish, actually speaking to them would have been the way to go.

omg didn't I mention that I spoke to them at least 3 times? OTL sorry~ but yeah I did so that's why I resorted to acting so impulsively :B

Thanks for your opinion anyhow~
Reply 11
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I'd have cut off their hair if they did not stop talking after I told them to pipe down.

You're okay.

Original post by Classified.
If you told them to stop and they carried on, they deserved it.

Original post by geniequeen48
Well what else could you have done? Unless you could have move seats then I think it serves them right.

Original post by z33
hell yeah they deserve it, like why the **** are you here if you're gonna just have a conversation GTFO uni ain't for you!

I salute you haha i would've been too scared to do anything and just sat there trying to make out what the lecturer is saying

i'd be so pissed though, bitches wasting my £9000 -_-

LOL THANKS GUYS and yeah I did tell them to shut up multiple times buT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP its childissssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
OP is quite obviously trolling for attention based on original post and replies. I wouldn't say making this up but nobody lacks that much self awareness
Couldn't you just choose a different seat next lecture?
Reply 15
Original post by RiotGirll
OP is quite obviously trolling for attention based on original post and replies. I wouldn't say making this up but nobody lacks that much self awareness

..... I have witnesses if you want them? Oh and I'm sure some people do; including me at certain times.

Unless you're a trained Psychologist, I'd rather not go in depth about my sudden urges to be impulsive; at least, not so publicly. It's actually a little hurtful to say that my post and replies are made up for the heck of it.

But eh you've given your opinion and I'm grateful, I guess.
Reply 16
Original post by Keyhofi
Couldn't you just choose a different seat next lecture?

Nope, it was all packed :frown:
Original post by rummie
..... I have witnesses if you want them? Oh and I'm sure some people do; including me at certain times.

Unless you're a trained Psychologist, I'd rather not go in depth about my sudden urges to be impulsive; at least, not so publicly. It's actually a little hurtful to say that my post and replies are made up for the heck of it.

But eh you've given your opinion and I'm grateful, I guess.

I wouldn't say making this up

lol
Reply 18
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP its childissssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ah okay :biggrin: Thanks for your opinion ^^ /omg I sound sarcastic but I'm not LOL
Reply 19
Original post by riotgirll
lol

oMG I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T READ IT PROPERLY OMG SORRY

Quick Reply

Latest