The Student Room Group

So apparently kicking someone's seat in a lecture to shut them up is childish

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Childish... yes. Uncalled for, I don't think so. I am regularly faced with a simlilar situation (at college) i normally start by telling them to keep it down (as you did) if they continue I would follow up with a rather agressive "DUDE". If they still insist on talking, that is when you begin tuting and rolling your eyes :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rummie
Ah okay :biggrin: Thanks for your opinion ^^ /omg I sound sarcastic but I'm not LOL

hey come on you spent a lot of money on tuition feees its no joke! don't let people push you around or bully you..

remember you are awesome!! :smile:
Original post by rummie
..... I have witnesses if you want them? Oh and I'm sure some people do; including me at certain times.

Unless you're a trained Psychologist, I'd rather not go in depth about my sudden urges to be impulsive; at least, not so publicly. It's actually a little hurtful to say that my post and replies are made up for the heck of it.

But eh you've given your opinion and I'm grateful, I guess.

Good that you've done it. If you've told them multiple times to shut up they deserve it.
Reply 23
Original post by JPencil
Childish... yes. Uncalled for, I don't think so. I am regularly faced with a simlilar situation (at college) i normally start by telling them to keep it down (as you did) if they continue I would follow up with a rather agressive "DUDE". If they still insist on talking, that is when you begin tuting and rolling your eyes :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg that smiley is cute and LOL I'LL ACTUALLY TRY SAYING "DUDE" AGGRESSIVELY NEXT TIME AHAHAHAH

Original post by Ripper Phoenix
hey come on you spent a lot of money on tuition feees its no joke! don't let people push you around or bully you..

remember you are awesome!! :smile:

;A; I am touched; I didn't think anyone would go so far as to call me awesome after all this LOL YOU ARE AWESOME TOO (that's why I followed you ^^)

Original post by ermahgerd11
Good that you've done it. If you've told them multiple times to shut up they deserve it.

Ohhhhh thanks for your opinion :biggrin: Although, I should probably change my tactic next time if they start speaking loudly again and I'm sitting behind them LOL (although I don't think they will if I'm sitting near them......)
Original post by rummie
omg that smiley is cute and LOL I'LL ACTUALLY TRY SAYING "DUDE" AGGRESSIVELY NEXT TIME AHAHAHAH

;A; I am touched; I didn't think anyone would go so far as to call me awesome after all this LOL YOU ARE AWESOME TOO (that's why I followed you ^^)

Ohhhhh thanks for your opinion :biggrin: Although, I should probably change my tactic next time if they start speaking loudly again and I'm sitting behind them LOL (although I don't think they will if I'm sitting near them......)

I wouldn't have the guts to do what you did. Imagine if they created a scene and a bitch fight started in the middle of the lecture hall :rofl: Mortifying
Original post by rummie

x

To be honest, if they did not stop talking when you repeatedly asked them to, but then they did as a result of you kicking their seat, then I think this is effective behaviour, and not childish. What's supremely childish and inconsiderate is for two people to completely disregard an entire lecture audience who is trying to learn and hold them hostage to their own bad manners.

The problem with your approach generally OP, is that it usually makes things much worse rather than solve the problem, but if you managed to get a good outcome, then well done to you.
Original post by Twinpeaks
How rude of you. Definitely too childish for university.

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating to have people yapping away in lectures, but I'm sorry but kicking their chairs is a ridiculous reaction, to the point where it's embarrassing.

What uni do you go at?

Speaking of "embarrassing".
Original post by rummie
Nope, it was all packed :frown:

Get there fast enough to get a good seat then.
If it's effective then why not?
Reply 29
Original post by ermahgerd11
I wouldn't have the guts to do what you did. Imagine if they created a scene and a bitch fight started in the middle of the lecture hall :rofl: Mortifying

Lecturer: "Piaget said that children are really egocentric and cannot see from other people's points of view very wel-"

Me in the bitch fight: BIIIIIITTTTCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHUT THE **** UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Lecturer: what.
Reply 30
Original post by Keyhofi
Get there fast enough to get a good seat then.

YES SIR!- Wait I don't know what your gender is..... or are you gender fluid..... omg I'll have tumblr on my case because of this LOL but thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

EDIT: YOU'RE A GUY! So it must be sir. Yes. Okay I'm making things weird I'm sorry
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
I would have embaressed them by raising my hand and asking the lecturer to ask the girls in front of me to be quiet.
Tap them both on the head with an empty bottle, if behaviour persists tap them both on the head with a bottle thats full.
It's not childish at all. Children kick seats for no reason. And you had a perfectly valid reason. :badger:
Original post by rummie
YES SIR!- Wait I don't know what your gender is..... or are you gender fluid..... omg I'll have tumblr on my case because of this LOL but thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

EDIT: YOU'RE A GUY! So it must be sir. Yes. Okay I'm making things weird I'm sorry

Woah.. what just happened? :eek:
Original post by Keyhofi
Woah.. what just happened? :eek:
Tumblr happened.
Original post by rummie
EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I did tell them to pipe down a couple of times and even told them to shut up so yeah I didn't just randomly kick their chairs HAHAHAHAHAHAH

lmao
Original post by Profesh
Speaking of "embarrassing".

It takes a strange individual to find a small language error "embarrassing", but not the experience of having underwear photos circulating around the only platform where they recieve any social gratification.

The novelty of you being adept at grammar and nothing else died out in around 2009 Profesh. Try and find another forum where some may find your little quirk interesting or even just tolerable.

Silly little man. But I suppose it makes you feel good.
Original post by Profesh
It'd take a strange individual to be embarrassed about something they did eight years ago, yet not cringe at the sight of so laughably slipshod a grammatical construction on the part of someone chiding another user as "too childish for university".

Also, the word is 'receive'. Do try to keep up.

"Joined TSR in Dec 2014". I guess this forum found your previous accounts eminently tolerable.

Silly little man. But I suppose it makes you feel good.

What do you even do Profesh? Because from what I can see, you have absolutely nothing else to offer, other than proof reading skills.

You're just a loser.
Original post by Twinpeaks
What do you even do Profesh? Because from what I can see, you have absolutely nothing else to offer, other than proof reading skills.

You're just a loser.

We've established that attention-to-detail isn't really your strong suit (unlike inventing new aliases on internet forums, presumably), so that sits perfectly well with me.

Quick Reply

Latest