Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is plus-size modelling beneficial or harmful to society? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On one hand, it can make overweight and obese people become more confident and less self conscious. However, on the other hand, it can be harmful as it glorifies obesity and could Lead young people to think that being obese is fine, leading them to stay obese instead of trying to exercise and lose weight and have a longer, healthier life.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    * on one hand it can make overweight and obese people think that it's fine to stay overweight and obese. However, on the other hand, it can be harmful as it glorifies obesity and could lead you people to think that being obese is fine, leading them to stay obese instead of trying to exercise and lose weight to have a longer, healthier life.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely harmful, but so is the (size 0) anorexic stuff.

It looks as though the fashion industry wants guys to be repulsed after just looking at members of the opposite sex :lol:

They need to find some middle-ground (hardly rocket science IMO).

ReputationRep:
    Plus size people exist, therefore we need plus size modelling because plus size people need to wear clothes too! Also, in the modelling industry, they count 'plus size' as size 12 or above. The vast majority of people are at least a size 12 because to be honest under that is unhealthy.

edit: I looked it up and plus size for modelling is size 10 or above. If you are under a size 10 you very badly need to gain weight

ReputationRep:
    Definitely bad, it promotes obesity.
    If only healthy people are models then that should encourage obese people to get healthy.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but glorifying being severely underweight, and promoting a lifestyle of malnutrition and possibly anorexia is equally unhealthy.

Models should be 'healthy sized' (though whatever this is, it's not a set standard) and pretty average non-obese sizes whether they are too muscular, or a little over-fat, are labelled as plus size.

Plus size is not just at the morbidly obese end of the scale, I'm pretty sure it even starts below the average body size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)
    Plus size people exist, therefore we need plus size modelling because plus size people need to wear clothes too! Also, in the modelling industry, they count 'plus size' as size 12 or above. The vast majority of people are at least a size 12 because to be honest under that is unhealthy.

edit: I looked it up and plus size for modelling is size 10 or above. If you are under a size 10 you very badly need to gain weight
    Being under a size ten doesn't mean you need to gain weight. I'm naturally thin, healthy and size 6 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernerdural)

Not true... I wear size 6-8 and I'm not underweight. It depends on your height too.

I'm short

ReputationRep:
    Super skinny is bad. Super fat is bad. We just need a middle ground.

Why can't short girls model?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree that it promotes obesity. Plus most plus sized models aren't anywhere near obese. And tbh most overweight/obese people know that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to have confidence.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^^

I agree it promotes obesity. Many plus sized models are obese. Many overweight people refuse to accept it is unhealthy, they dont have confidence because no one respects them.

^^^^^^

ReputationRep:

she's a plus sized model.... i'd consider her normal but that's just me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

She is normal, because unfortunately overweight is the new normal in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    She is normal, because unfortunately overweight is the new normal in the UK
    come on she's not overweight... maybe on the far end of the normal BMI but not FAT

ReputationRep:
    As a fat man I'm not hating on fat people when I say that its an awful development in fashion which encourages women especially to think that they are fine as they are.

I don't agree with size zero models either though so with 8-12 apparently the healthy range (average is higher because the UK is fat) I'd probably say that models should be 6-10. It encourages weight loss but not extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    come on she's not overweight... maybe on the far end of the normal BMI but not FAT
    Borderline, you might be right that she just falls on the healthy side of BMI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Borderline, you might be right that she just falls on the healthy side of BMI
    yeah that's what i mean borderline but probably still on the healthy side

i don't think healthy should be considered 'plus size'...

i don't think plus size models are sending out a bad message because most girls are still trying to lose weight to be more like the skinnier models, but i think it's just a reminder that they can still look and feel beautiful while they're losing weight if that makes sense?

like before it was 'unless you weigh 50 kg you're ugly' but now it's like 'you'll look your best at 50 kg but you can still look hot and beautiful right now'

that's how i see it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

Fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    Fat.
    soooo what is skinny? this?
    [image removed]

tbh i think models should look like this:

to promote a healthy lifestyle and exercise rather than starvation or mcdonalds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Why is it so hard to accept the woman in the fist picture is quite clearly overweight?

As far as your recommendations go, although those are very attractive physiques, at the end of the day it's just a bunch of businesses trying to shift their product... and if they've found putting their clothes on skinny-fat women sells the most, then that's what they will do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.