Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm 17, 5'11 and 80kg. I've just been hitting the weights for a couple years with minimal cardio but I used to do a lot so what stroke rate and split time should I be aiming for to be considered good? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    These times are given for men who train regularly on an erg:

Above 20 minutes would be slow and 2:00> split

Sub 19 minutes would be ok for a novice and around a 1:55 split

Sub 18:30 is respectable and would be around a 1:50 split

Sub 18:00 is good and would be around a 1:45 split

Sub 17:30 would be very good and would be around a 1:42 split

Below 17 minutes would be exceptional

Below 16 minutes is Olympic territory and WR territory for your age group.

As for strokes a minute, either 24, 26, 28 or 30 depending on what you find comfortable and what you are training for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    These times are given for men who train regularly on an erg:

Above 20 minutes would be slow and 2:00> split

Sub 19 minutes would be ok for a novice and around a 1:55 split

Sub 18:30 is respectable and would be around a 1:50 split

Sub 18:00 is good and would be around a 1:45 split

Sub 17:30 would be very good and would be around a 1:42 split

Below 17 minutes would be exceptional

Below 16 minutes is Olympic territory and WR territory for your age group.

As for strokes a minute, either 24, 26, 28 or 30 depending on what you find comfortable and what you are training for.
    Using the weight adjusted formula on the concept 2 website I did 5k in 19:45 but do you know how accurate the formula is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucasium)
    Using the weight adjusted formula on the concept 2 website I did 5k in 19:45 but do you know how accurate the formula is?
    Which formula is this? The time you pulled is the time you pulled, no calculatuons needed.

If you're doing a test peice then set the drag factor on the erg (through the screen) to 135 by moving the damper before you use it.

That way all your scores will be representative no matter which C2 Erg you use.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Which formula is this? The time you pulled is the time you pulled, no calculatuons needed.
    Its for calculating equivalent pulling power in a real boat. The heavier you are the more drag in the water you create, so pulling a 18:00 5K if you're 100kg isn't the same as if you're 70.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its for calculating equivalent pulling power in a real boat. The heavier you are the more drag in the water you create, so pulling a 18:00 5K if you're 100kg isn't the same as if you're 70.
    Oh right, never used it. We always kept erg times and boat times seperate since ergs don't float. 18:20 on the erg is an improvment on the 18:25 you pulled two weeks ago etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'll use this thread to keep a back up of my times. I corrected my form and pushed harder this time, achieving 18:50 5k

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.