Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone. I come from a small country of Southeast Asian. I've already learnt English for 4 years and now I'm at b2 level. In my opinion, English is a greatest language in the world, I can use it as my mother language. last month, I decided to start learning French. I realized that I have trouble in discerning these two languages' pronunciation. u know: many French words that spell exactly the same as English (e.g: six). but their pronunciation aren't the same. I was really confused. is there anyone who have learnt French? could you give me some tips to solve my problem?! thanks in advanced!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva Granger)
    hi everyone. I come from a small country of Southeast Asian. I've already learnt English for 4 years and now I'm at b2 level. In my opinion, English is a greatest language in the world, I can use it as my mother language. last month, I decided to start learning French. I realized that I have trouble in discerning these two languages' pronunciation. u know: many French words that spell exactly the same as English (e.g: six). but their pronunciation aren't the same. I was really confused. is there anyone who have learnt French? could you give me some tips to solve my problem?! thanks in advanced!
    When learning words, learn them phonetically as well as visually, so instead of learning the spelling of a word then testing yourself, learn how to pronounce it first, this could then help with the spelling.

To improve your pronunciation you should really spend some time in a place where le français is spoken, i.e. France, Québec, Belgium. By listening to the language for extended periods of time and blocking out other languages, you should be able to tune your ear to the sounds of the language.

Bon courage avec ton apprentissage du français!

ReputationRep:
    Listen to French audio with a transcript so that you can see how certain words are pronounced. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles2)
    When learning words, learn them phonetically as well as visually, so instead of learning the spelling of a word then testing yourself, learn how to pronounce it first, this could then help with the spelling.

To improve your pronunciation you should really spend some time in a place where le français is spoken, i.e. France, Québec, Belgium. By listening to the language for extended periods of time and blocking out other languages, you should be able to tune your ear to the sounds of the language.

Bon courage avec ton apprentissage du français!
    Merci =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    Listen to French audio with a transcript so that you can see how certain words are pronounced. Good luck
    thank you for your very helpful advice, I will try it.

ReputationRep:
    If you use the mobile app Duolingo, while you are learning you can hear the pronunciation of each word and are even tested on your pronunciation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessievoiture)
    If you use the mobile app Duolingo, while you are learning you can hear the pronunciation of each word and are even tested on your pronunciation!
    thanks. i'm using this app. very helpful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.