Turn on thread page Beta

I'm engaged! But I don't want to do anything?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Haven't been around a lot as work has been insane and also my partner proposed to me, I said yes, lots of happiness etc.

But now it's calming down I feel like everyone wants to know my wedding plans and I haven't even begun to think about it. My career has taken off big time and I'm nearly at the end of my course, I've been busy. But Is it normal to not have any interest in it yet?

All the fuss makes me feel uncomfortable too, although I look feminine I'm not very conventionally (I.e stereotypically) feminine - I have no desire for some dress that looks like a cake or everyone paying attention to me for the whole day. Do you think this could be the reason I'm not so eager or something wrong with me??

ReputationRep:
    Lots of women feel that way! I know that when I get married I won't be immediately planning every detail, I'll take some time. Plus I don't want a massive expensive dress I'll never wear again. You're definitely not alone

Also, congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvaAdore)
    Hi guys

Haven't been around a lot as work has been insane and also my partner proposed to me, I said yes, lots of happiness etc.

But now it's calming down I feel like everyone wants to know my wedding plans and I haven't even begun to think about it. My career has taken off big time and I'm nearly at the end of my course, I've been busy. But Is it normal to not have any interest in it yet?

All the fuss makes me feel uncomfortable too, although I look feminine I'm not very conventionally (I.e stereotypically) feminine - I have no desire for some dress that looks like a cake or everyone paying attention to me for the whole day. Do you think this could be the reason I'm not so eager or something wrong with me??
    Nothing's wrong, people like getting overexcited for others because their own lives are miserable and boring.

You just do your own thing and make plans for your wedding when the time is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Weddings are such BS, I never understood why two people who love each other need a piece of paper to prove it, pathetic
    There are economic benefits to it. Although imo if two people want to get married then why not? It doesn't affect you and it makes them happy, so let them get on with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    There are economic benefits to it. Although imo if two people want to get married then why not? It doesn't affect you and it makes them happy, so let them get on with it
    There is economic benefits for the female yes because when **** goes tits up, the money, house and assets will only be flowing one way

ReputationRep:
    There is economic benefits for the female yes because when **** goes tits up, the money, house and assets will only be flowing one way
    You've clearly had some sort of bad experience or know someone who has. Just let people live their lives, you don't have to get married but that doesn't mean other people can't

ReputationRep:
    Weddings are such BS, I never understood why two people who love each other need a piece of paper to prove it, pathetic
    I agree.

Not with your second post though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats m8 :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I agree.

Not with your second post though :rolleyes:
    We can disagree on that post all we want but it is true nonetheless, one sided divorce court cases are well known for going one way. Even if it does not apply to every girl, it just takes that one person to strip you clean of everything.

I don't agree with the concept because I think love is independent of it but on a side note I consider it a financial risk especially if I make something of myself. My family has first rights to any fortunes I make and for a girl steal it from me I consider stealing from my family.

ReputationRep:
    We can disagree on that post all we want but it is true nonetheless, one sided divorce court cases are well known for going one way. Even if it does not apply to every girl, it just takes that one person to strip you clean of everything.

I don't agree with the concept because I think love is independent of it but on a side note I consider it a financial risk especially if I make something of myself. My family has first rights to any fortunes I make and for a girl steal it from me I consider stealing from my family.
    I disagree with your second post because I don't think it's a females motive to marry and take everything from her husband if things go wrong. Secondly it's not always ALL her husbands property and money. But I see where you a coming from many cases this is how it looks. Especially the most recent one from a couple of weeks ago where the women went to court to get money off their millionaire husbands because they had been lied to about their husbands wealth, I don't know the full story but from the looks of it, it is what you were explaining. It's not right.

At the same time, I don't want to get married for similar reasons, one being I think I can prove myself of independence with my finances on my own, I would like to make something of myself and if things go brilliantly it is a 'risk' and if things do go wrong I don't want to be seen as scrounging off my husband. Saying that marriage is a risk many people are willing to take so it's matter of leaving things up to the future.

ReputationRep:
    You've clearly had some sort of bad experience or know someone who has. Just let people live their lives, you don't have to get married but that doesn't mean other people can't
    Some people (yourself included,) still believe in 'love'. I'm a skeptic in all of that stuff, but still wish people good luck. -you don't need to be hurt to have that opinion!

-Leo

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

First of all,congrats

I'm sure some women feel the same but things may change as the wedding approaches. Can't really say as I've never been in the same position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guppygould)
    Some people (yourself included,) still believe in 'love'. I'm a skeptic in all of that stuff, but still wish people good luck. -you don't need to be hurt to have that opinion!

-Leo
    You may be a skeptic, but you still wish people luck in their lives. The person I quoted is just getting unnecessarily aggressive and is completely ignoring the fact that I've said that they're entitled to their opinion in the same way I'm entitled to mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I disagree with your second post because I don't think it's a females motive to marry and take everything from her husband if things go wrong. Secondly it's not always ALL her husbands property and money. But I see where you a coming from many cases this is how it looks. Especially the most recent one from a couple of weeks ago where the women went to court to get money off their millionaire husbands because they had been lied to about their husbands wealth, I don't know the full story but from the looks of it, it is what you were explaining. It's not right.

At the same time, I don't want to get married for similar reasons, one being I think I can prove myself of independence with my finances on my own, I would like to make something of myself and if things go brilliantly it is a 'risk' and if things do go wrong I don't want to be seen as scrounging off my husband. Saying that marriage is a risk many people are willing to take so it's matter of leaving things up to the future.
    The thing is, if we parted on good terms and she was in a poor financial situation I would happily give her the house and some help (and undoubtedly if we had kids). It is more when things get spiteful and it turns into a court case that the law would always be on her side.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, if we parted on good terms and she was in a poor financial situation I would happily give her the house and some help (and undoubtedly if we had kids). It is more when things get spiteful and it turns into a court case that the law would always be on her side.
    Well that is down to injustice's in our justice system. Something completely different.

ReputationRep:
    You may be a skeptic, but you still wish people luck in their lives. The person I quoted is just getting unnecessarily aggressive and is completely ignoring the fact that I've said that they're entitled to their opinion in the same way I'm entitled to mine
    Cool. I was only saying that you don't necessarily NEED to have been hurt to have that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Pipe down Elliot.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

is this to the one you broke up with? what changed?

ReputationRep:
    1st, congratulations

How did you guys manage to patch things up?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

You don't have to look like a meringue or have a flash wedding. I made my own dress to suit my tastes and did not wear a veil.

Make your own choices for the day and don't feel you have to spend a fortune to have a great and memorable day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.