Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is the derivative of kinetic energy (0.5mv2) wrt velocity equal to momentum (mv)? Does this have any physical or mathematical significance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsandphysftw)
    Why is the derivative of kinetic energy (0.5mv2) wrt velocity equal to momentum (mv)? Does this have any physical or mathematical significance?
    I have always wondered this also. I believe it is a consequence of the fact that  \frac{dp}{dt} ds = \frac{ds}{dt} dp = v dp = mv dv , i.e for an object of constant mass m accelerated from rest to a momentum of P (at which point it has a speed V) though a displacement x, the KE gained is:

\displaystyle \int_0^x F ds = \displaystyle \int_0^x \frac{dp}{dt} ds  

= \displaystyle \int_0^P v dp = \displaystyle \int_0^V mv dv = \frac{1}{2}mV^2

This is really just two changes of variable; from s to p and p to v.

But this is entirely speculative so I welcome any corrections.

ReputationRep:
    Again, Ive always wondered the same thing!
    I finally got around to asking one of the physics teachers at my college and she basically said it's just a coincidence.
    Aside from what you'd get from the integration/differentiation process, I don't think there's any other intuitive understanding to be had, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Physically, this only holds in Newtonian dynamics, where Galilean Invariance is assumed - i.e all inertial frames share the same universal time and space is absolute.
    In actuality relativistic effects feature and you get a somewhat messier form for the kinetic energy.

Mathematically, we can see this by considering the definition of work and force.
    In the case where we accept that p=mv and we compute in one dimension, with a the change in kinetic energy of a particle of fixed mass m driven by a force F, with initial velocity we see that:
    \Delta E_k=\displaystyle\int F \ dx = \displaystyle\int F \dfrac{dx}{dt} \ dt = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{dp}{dt} v \ dt

\Rightarrow \Delta E_k = \displaystyle\int v \ d(mv) =\displaystyle\int mv \ dv = \dfrac{1}{2}mv^2+\mathcal{C}
    (\mathcal{C}=0 using the fact that we started at rest.)
    Hence \dfrac{dE_k}{dv}=p by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

EDIT: Lol, this is what happens if you take a shower before typing up stuff - you end up spouting the same stuff as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the clear up guys, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    You have had good responses but I thought I should just to give a non-rigorous proof of the kinetic energy formula in case you are not convinced:

W=Fs=K.E
    Using a suvat equation not containing time, v2=u2+2as, and rearranging to s we get: s=(v2-u2)/2a
    And from newtons second law: F=ma

Substituting for s and F we get:

W=ma(v2-u2)/2a=m(v2-u2)/2
    Assuming the initial velocity was zero, we arrive at:
    W=mv2/2=K.E

Edit: Mathsandphysftw: just realised that you are not to derive K.E formula, please ignore me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.