Turn on thread page Beta

Learn a language or learn to code? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I figure that, on top of the stress of assignments, exam revision, eating Nandos and avoiding being shanked on the central line, I'll have the time to learn a new skill.

My choice at present is between learning to speak a second language or learning how to code. The university library has texts on both!

Which one do you think is more useful and/or interesting to persue?

ReputationRep:
    Well, that depends on what you want to do with life! Coding is cool for building websites and making your tumblr look pretty, and if you want to go into advertising or into science I'd say it's pretty invaluable. Certainly, I'd say it's easier to teach yourself from texts than a language is. However, being able to read texts in a foreign language and communicate in a foreign language is such an amazing feeling, and I think that people are pretty impressed when a person can speak more than one language fluently. Languages, though, are pretty hard to just learn from textbooks, and it would definitely depend on the language itself.

What might be most useful is to know what you're studying at uni at the mo, and if you know what job sector you want to go in to, which one it is!

ReputationRep:
    Learning a language can be time consuming and you need to put in some extra effort. So learning to code? Whichever you prefer.
    What language are you looking to learn?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who is doing both, let me give you a bit of advice.

Computer programming has a high work-to-reward ratio, but lower gross effort is required than learning a new language. You need to put in a lot of effort in order to get to the 'good' parts about being a computer programmer - building systems - and for a time it will seem like hard slog. At one point, however, it will 'click', and you'll find yourself greatly empowered by your new skill. I say this as a computer science student who has been programming for a few years now.

Learning a new language is a lot more fun, and you can get more out of it in terms of enjoyment much more quickly - knowing how to ask how someone's day is going, or how to order a drink at a bar in a new language is relatively simple but it gives you a lot back - at least it does for me. However, to get really good at your new language - I mean "conversational" and above - takes a lot more time and practice than programming.

The decision will ultimately come down to what you value, and the amount of time you can commit to it. Languages are more immediately gratifying, but will take more of your time; computer programming takes less time, but it will not be much fun in the beginning and you'll need to keep the big picture in mind of what you want to build with it to get you through the initial slog.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think learning languages is a great thing to do. People from other countries speak English better then we do, I feel like the UK is slacking. Languages are useful for travelling as well.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to learn Spanish or French.

ReputationRep:
    Learn how to code. php

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel that learning another human language is a waste of time for most people, for the simple fact that it'll be very rare that you'll speak to someone who speaks that language and doesn't speak your first language. On the other hand, you use computers on a daily basis. The usefulness of learning a programming language does depend on what you want to do with it and your career.
    Of course, learning another human language is useful for some people and some people derive enjoyment from the process of learning it, so you might decide it's a good idea for you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.