Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I said i read a newspaper article regarding bla bla bla, but I dont think I have picked a newspaper up in my life

I also said i read this amazing book regarding what i wanna study but the last book I read was Of Mice & Men and i didnt even finish it

ReputationRep:
    i dont know if anything will happen but when you go to an interview they may ask you questions based on this so be sure u can answer them. And of mice and men was boring so i dont blame u
    (Original post by AK 12)
    I said i read a newspaper article regarding bla bla bla, but I dont think I have picked a newspaper up in my life

I also said i read this amazing book regarding what i wanna study but the last book I read was Of Mice & Men and i didnt even finish it

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what this thread is trying to do? Are you worried you'll be found out and rejected or something?

ReputationRep:
    If you have any interviews you may want to actually read the book but apart from that you should be fine, theyre not mind readers

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to have interviews, find out the main arguments that the author of the book makes in the book and think about what you believe regarding those and critique them and stuff, and then find a credible news article about whatever it was you claimed and have an opinion on it, if you don't have any interviews you probably will be fine

ReputationRep:
    .... :clap2:

Seriously though, you're gonna want to read those now that you've mentioned them. They might very well ask you about those in an interview

ReputationRep:
    Even if it was true, I seriously doubt the fact you read an article and one book would have any influence over receiving an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by San Fran)
    Even if it was true, I seriously doubt the fact you read an article and one book would have any influence over receiving an offer.
    But being asked in an interview to talk about said book/article and showing the inability to do so might just expose OP and have seriously negative consequences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by San Fran)
    Of course i wont lol, that's not merely what I wrote in my statement.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AK 12)

Aren't you worried?

If you can't even write 4,000 characters on why you like your subject without lying how on earth do you expect to stay motivated to study that subject for 3+ years?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    People lie about having read certain books all the time, and even those who have read them often misunderstand large parts or are unable to offer any kind of semi-meaningful comment about them in their statements. As said above, unless you have an interview it won't matter at all. However, simply listing books you've read without saying anything about them won't improve the quality of your statement at all so it really isn't worth doing for most people.

I briefly mentioned a book I read in my ps that I can hardly remember anymore; It's just a book full of examples of companies and ways they adapt their designs to make products better- I have an interview next week and I don't know what I'm expected to know? Am I supposed to try and memorise all the examples or something?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people bother lying on a PS?? Coming up with the lie and keeping it up for interviews is so much harder than just actually doing whatever the lie was about

ReputationRep:
    Well read both now, and formulate some thoughts upon them/what you gained from them, at least.

Don't be a lazy git.

Unless, of course, you don't give a poop, and don't mind jeopardising yourself and your position at that uni.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.