Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the rundown, the university im going to is little less than a 20 minute bus ride + a 20 minute walk away from home so it's reasonable to think that going into halls for me, would be kinda pointless.

But heres the kicker: My parents still have the "He's not an adult yet" attitude with me, my mom even said this to my face not 3 days ago on top that I have to deal with the terrible cooking (were talking Neelix level bad here), then there's the stress of the fact that my only way of getting to uni is reliant on (a not-so-reliable) public transport outside of the universities control (what if it snows and I need to hand in an assignment or something? What if its late or doesn't come at all on a day i need to be at a specific time?) and then on top that I almost got run over the day walking to the bus stop (someone didn't use there indicator... on a crossroad) and then there's the fact im somewhat restricted (by the bus and the fact I dont really want to walk down a country lane in the dark) on how long I can stay around university which makes things like "Hey wanna go down the pub" very difficult.

/rant

I guess there's no harm in at least checking to see if there are any rooms free in halls... has anyone else here moved to halls mid-term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjake848)
    Here's the rundown, the university im going to is little less than a 20 minute bus ride + a 20 minute walk away from home so it's reasonable to think that going into halls for me, would be kinda pointless.

But heres the kicker: My parents still have the "He's not an adult yet" attitude with me, my mom even said this to my face not 3 days ago on top that I have to deal with the terrible cooking (were talking Neelix level bad here), then there's the stress of the fact that my only way of getting to uni is reliant on (a not-so-reliable) public transport outside of the universities control (what if it snows and I need to hand in an assignment or something? What if its late or doesn't come at all on a day i need to be at a specific time?) and then on top that I almost got run over the day walking to the bus stop (someone didn't use there indicator... on a crossroad) and then there's the fact im somewhat restricted (by the bus and the fact I dont really want to walk down a country lane in the dark) on how long I can stay around university which makes things like "Hey wanna go down the pub" very difficult.

/rant

I guess there's no harm in at least checking to see if there are any rooms free in halls... has anyone else here moved to halls mid-term?
    just to clarify= are you already at university or looking to start in sept? A friend of mine moved into halls mid term and had a good time, I think she already had friends on campus though which would have helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    just to clarify= are you already at university or looking to start in sept? A friend of mine moved into halls mid term and had a good time, I think she already had friends on campus though which would have helped.
    Yeah, I already started in September 2015

Not sure how things would be handled in terms of student finance, since i've been living at home, ive already spent a chunk of what I got in September as a maintenance loan...

ReputationRep:
    In a similar boat, missing out on the spontaneous stuff, didn't think it'd be too much of a problem but turned out that they got rid of the student bar over the summer before I joined.

But when I actually think about it, yeah, people are good and I love going out, but would I be happier if I was living in halls right now? No. It sounds good, but I imagine if I had the choice to just magically transport me there right now I wouldn't take it, too many disadvantages.

That said, if I had to deal with someone who could be likened to Neelix in any way on a daily basis my answer might be different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjake848)
    Yeah, I already started in September 2015

Not sure how things would be handled in terms of student finance, since i've been living at home, ive already spent a chunk of what I got in September as a maintenance loan...
    in that case see if you can be put on the halls waiting list. You might have to make a bigger effort with your flatmates but even if they don't turn out to be your best mates sounds like you have course friends you would then be able to hang out with more.

As far as student finance goes the fact that you've spent some shouldn't matter at all, you aren't dropping out! You get more loan for moving away anyway, you would just need to fill in a change of circumstances form. Don't know how they pay you the extra if you move out mid semester though.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.