Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've recently got a guitar and really want to learn how to play it. Trouble is I don't really know where to start.
    I want to progress through the grades initial and beyond, so could any one point me in the right direction to free course that I go through online that'll help me.
    I don't really want to get a tutor because I feel that'll cost too much money.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Youtube? Look online (and Facebook, if you have it) for local clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Try and introductory book if you don't mind reading. Learn the theory behind the music, to look at a few tabs online isn't enough.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with learning tabs after tabs. The theory will come. Enjoy playing your favorite songs first, and learn the theory when you need it.

http://www.songsterr.com/

I recommend spending some time reading as-well, learn the guitar does and dont's, this is particularly important if you don't want a tutor, because the tutor would otherwise point out obvious errors in your playing. Try and allocate one finger per fret, keep your thumb behind the neck and certainly don't curl it over, bend the strings towards the centre of the neck, etcetera. There's plenty of free videos and tutorials online if you look, there's no point me sending you to any odd one I find.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.