Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What makes someone British? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my question is what makes someone British is it being born in the Uk?Having Citizenship?Or having a British heritage?

ReputationRep:
    Born and raised here mate. British passport will do.

ReputationRep:
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Complaining about the weather and queues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Apparently not to Imperial College London

ReputationRep:
    When someone does something rude in a public place, and you do the "tut" behind their back. Then you know you're british.

ReputationRep:
    When someone prevents you from getting your tea, you wage a war with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurupt)
    You must be pure white European race to be British. Being born here means nothing. Living here for a thousand years doesn't change anything, if you're not pure white, you're not British, full stop.
    Some people whose parents immigrate to Britain and they are born here say they are British what would you say about that? I think you should acknowledge your heritage I hate it when people's parents immigrate and they are born in let's say Britain and they consider themselves British and know nothing of their heritage or culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    There are thousands of people who were born and raised in England who don't have a passport.

ReputationRep:
    being appalled at the 5p bag charge

ReputationRep:
    BANTER

ReputationRep:
    Its more than just being born here you need white european dna. Otherwise its like being black and being born in china and calling yourself chinese you would never really be chinese you need the dna.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking English with a British accent, drinking tea in public, and using the phrase "bloody mess" in contexts that have nothing to do with butcher shops, battlefields, or surgery rooms. They also need to know how to curtsey, and how to address members of the royal family or the nobility properly. Things like calling a King "Majesty", a Prince "Highness", and so on all the way down to "Lordship". You also need to have a stiff upper lip.

At least, that's the Hollywood definition of being British. Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    There are thousands of people who were born and raised in England who don't have a passport.
    I didn't say there wasn't. I was born and raised here and I don't have one.

#js

ReputationRep:
    When you apologise for everything even it is not your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Apparently not to Imperial College London
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    ???
    Apparently possessing a British passport doesn't qualify me for home fees @ that uni.. Not British enough </3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Apparently possessing a British passport doesn't qualify me for home fees @ that uni.. Not British enough </3
    I wasn't born here and I qualified... did you do A-levels here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    I wasn't born here and I qualified... did you do A-levels here?
    Nah elsewhere. I understand why I wasn't granted home.. just really found it really annoying

ReputationRep:
    being born there or living there for more than 25 years i'd say

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.